banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion: What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion: What do you guys think?

Alright. To begin this post, I'd like to say I've been looking very hard for a distortion pedal that I would like for my music (that being metal: slayer, pantera, converge, nile. stuff like that). I thought I had it all figured out-the Kerry King EQ. But, my dumbass thought it was a DISTORTION pedal so I orderd it and found out it was merely an eq with a boost (which would be cool if i had the amp wattage to cover it). So, now I'm sending it back and was wondering if I'd be good with the Dime Distortion? What are your guys' opinions??? I have the MT-2 and it's just not cutting it for me.

Help me out here, gentlemen (and ladies, if there are any on this forum).
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Re: MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion: What do you guys think?

If you've ever read my reviews of the MXR Double Shot Distortion: stay far, FAR away. If you like angry swarms of bees mixed with a horrible background hissing noise, you'll like it.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      If you've ever read my reviews of the MXR Double Shot Distortion: stay far, FAR away. If you like angry swarms of bees mixed with a horrible background hissing noise, you'll like it.
      ALRIGHT!!!! then what pedal should i get, man???? i've already got the MT-2, i had the digitech heavy metal, and i dont like what the KFK does to my sound.....WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!??!?!

Comment

Hmmm. Have you tried the Keeley mod with the MT-2? I've heard great things about it. Before you toss it out the door, definitely give it a shot!

If that doesn't work, check out a G2D Morpheus. Either one should give you the results you're looking for
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

How 'bout an amp that sounds good as a base and then color your sound with a distortion pedal? A crap amp will sound like crap no matter how many circuits you plug into it.

-X
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The DD11 is shizzy and fizzy and a damned expensive paperweight if you ask me. The Doubleshot has some useable tones out of t but i think it's much too noisy.

I'd get the Keeley MT2 ( www.robertkeeley.com) or the G2D Morpheus ( www.g3d.co.nz ) Both of these pedals kick ass for metal tones and I think they'd be best at what you're trying to do.

EQ pedals like the KfK can be useful but can be nasty when not set to the right settings as well so be careful. It's kind of a doulbe-edged sword. Dimebag is a self-confessed EQ-ing man with his rig but he says he's very careful about his settings as well. Good luck!

Comment

i have the dime distortion i really like it. took awhile to get used to how it is set up. i also have the kfk eq and with my setup i can use both at the same time and get the pantera sound perfect. but its all in what you like

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                How 'bout an amp that sounds good as a base and then color your sound with a distortion pedal? A crap amp will sound like crap no matter how many circuits you plug into it.

-X

well, xander. this is a fact that i'm aware of. i am currently in the process of saving up for a laney head and some random cab, i dont care what kind, as long as it's got the juice i need. i guess i could just save the money i get back from the KFK and put it towards the package i want. or should i just get a hot rod deluxe? maybe a tube is just what i need.....

Comment

I've only tried one Laney head... a GH50L. We got the thing in used (was working at a music store at the time) so I retubed it with JJ EL34's and GT12AX7C's and it sounded great! British flavor (of course) with a little more sizzle. Good amp!

Comment

Working...
                  X