Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel So Cal

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    My only problem now is that I've got too many to play now . . .
    Never heard of such a thing!!!!

Nice guitar. I've been thinking of getting one. I like the style 2 tele body a lot too........
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

That looks awesome!

Congrats on the new score and enjoy!!!
      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Best 600$ I have ever spent! This guitar is fricking awesome! Pics/info to come.
        Congrats, I have one those in the dark candy green. I love that purple. Those are some smokin' guitars.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
          Never heard of such a thing!!!!

Nice guitar. I've been thinking of getting one. I like the style 2 tele body a lot too........
          Too bad you don't live in Canada . . . the same dude who sold me mine is also selling a purple Charvel tele : http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/oak/msg/2065336255.html
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sweet axe!
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I've had 4 of the special color SoCals - Candy Green, Tangerine, Purple, and Pagan Gold (the neck from my Candy Green was the first one sold on Ebay - $482 )

I've also had a couple of the rear-loaded ones - the Slime Green and the White.

These are great players, indeed, and I have to say the one I miss most is the Purple SoCal. That color just rocks. A guy on the JCF put a white pickguard on his and it's got a bit of Grape Creamsicle vibe happening.

I've still got the Candy Green body somewhere around here

But overall these have more of an 80s Hair Metal vibe that I was never really into, though the DiMarzios did get me that classic Iron Maiden tone.

Warmoth's 2-hum pickguards work well, but have Fender neck heel spacing, which means you'll have to widen it once you get it. You can get pretty much the same single-ply matte-finished material though. I ordered 2-hum/V/T/5-way replacements for all mine.

You should be aware, however, that SuperSwitches will have to be oriented with the wafers towards the bridge since the route in the body is so narrow in the control section.
              Not a major issue, unless you wire it up before you try to fit it.

Warmoth's S-S-S pickguards will also give you trouble, at least the slanted bridge pickup will. I had to shave about 1/4 of wood out of the bridge pickup section to accommodate the single coil's baseplate.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

What's crazy about this guitar is how at home the neck feels . . . and all my other guitars are Gibson scale, small fretted guitars. The neck feels great, with a nice satin feel to it.
                That's a great looking guitar.

I'm so glad somebody here really likes the neck as I just purchased the same neck on Fleabay last night as a replacement neck for my Kramer.
                Guitars: 2010 Fender Am./Mex. Stratocaster - Duncan Alnico II Pro (N,M) - Duncan SSL-6 (Bridge)
                1980 Gibson LP Std. - Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary humbuckers.
                1990 Fender Am. Std. Tele - Duncan Quarter Pounders
                Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Wild Card - Duncan Classic Stack (N,M) - DiMarzio Mo'Joe (Bridge)
                1982 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Supreme - : Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary(N), Duncan Custom(B)
                Amps: Mesa Mark V, Rivera Fandango, Marshall 1965 JTM-45, Modded Valve Juniors

Comment

Here's some soundclips . . . almost clean with neck and middle pickup, gainier solo with the bridge, crunch with the bridge volume slightly rolled back, and completely clean with neck and volume rolled back a bit. Don't mind the sloppy playing . . .

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=9899771&q=hi

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Im so jealous! Thats the exact one thats been killing me to have!! I wish it came with the duncans tho.. but thats just my pref
                    Congrats!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Hey that guitar looks awesome! Enjoy!
                      Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
                      Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                        Warmoth's 2-hum pickguards work well, but have Fender neck heel spacing, which means you'll have to widen it once you get it. You can get pretty much the same single-ply matte-finished material though. I ordered 2-hum/V/T/5-way replacements for all mine.

You should be aware, however, that SuperSwitches will have to be oriented with the wafers towards the bridge since the route in the body is so narrow in the control section.
                        Not a major issue, unless you wire it up before you try to fit it.
                        How hard is it to cut through pickguard material? It sounds like I'd have to do a lot of shaving around the neck area, and it would really kill me if I did anything half-assed with this guitar. Do you have any tips for how you modified the neck section of the pickguard?

Comment

How hard is it to cut through pickguard material? It sounds like I'd have to do a lot of shaving around the neck area, and it would really kill me if I did anything half-assed with this guitar. Do you have any tips for how you modified the neck section of the pickguard?
                          Tin-snips should work great and quite easily. On another note - Good GAWD these Jap Charvel's play better than the USA "production models", IME.
                          -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                          I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I tried out a couple of used ones at GC. The necks did feel great but the upper fret access was really lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoboman View Post
                              I tried out a couple of used ones at GC. The necks did feel great but the upper fret access was really lacking.

The Charvel is like this:

My Godin is like this (although mine is a righty with a maple fretboard):

I'd like it a little more if the heel was smoothed out a bit like my Godin, rather than just a big block like your typical strat. I have found though that by changing my thumb position a little I can reach all the strings on the 22nd fret with my pinky and ring finger without any problems. Besides, I figure that if it worked for Malmsteen and Van Halen, who am I to complain?

Comment

Tin snips, or a very sharp carpenter's knife, and some patience.

I have no patience, so I went at it with a sanding drum and a Dremel. Shaved it down in no time flat, made a huge mess, and left it looking pretty ragged. The edges were hidden under the neck, however, and I was going for function over form, so looking nasty didn't bother me that much.
                                Especially after I had already cut the control section of the pickguard off with tin snips (so it looks like a Jazz bass control plate/pickguard setup). Ugly but functional.
                                Originally posted by Brown Note
                                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                                My Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X