Converting my jaguar to single coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting my jaguar to single coils

I want to do it, but im kind of confused: ive never adjusted the pickups ona jaguar with single coils but it seems like they are attached to the wood, like a Precision Bass' pickups. is this so?

do you think i could just mark the necesary holes and drill them?

to do this, id need to buy the jaguar pickguard, the claw for the pickups, and the pickups themselves. anything else?

Re: Converting my jaguar to single coils

Then you have Mewguar then?

Comment

You could try Phat Cats or GFS Mean 90's instead, less work and they'll sound better.
      I've had a real Jag and the pickups are uninspiring.
      Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
        You could try Phat Cats or GFS Mean 90's instead, less work and they'll sound better.
        I've had a real Jag and the pickups are uninspiring.
        Well, I'd put some duncans in, not just any old set of pickups.

But id like to drop in some single coils and make the Jaguar sound like it does originally.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
          Well, I'd put some duncans in, not just any old set of pickups.

But id like to drop in some single coils and make the Jaguar sound like it does originally.
          I'd suggest strat pickups. Less work, and probably won't sound much different than jaguar pickups

Comment

if you wanted a jag with single coils you might as well have bought a mustang...
            Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
            you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Just add coil cuts.

MM
              MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
              Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

What does the routing look like under the pickguard? Are you looking to go with 3 singles or 2? The regular jag pickups are very close to strat pickups, except they have a comb looking keeper type thing on them, which contributes a lot to the "jag" sound.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                Originally posted by Securb
                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

The pickups in a jag and in a strat are very, very similar. The reason a jag sounds as it does (aside from the obvious physical differences, i.e bridge, scale, et. al.) are the pickup claws and thhe fact that a jag runs 1 meg pots vs a strat's 250k units.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

With that said, if you can't get singles to fit in yours, I'd look at a pair of TV Jones' Magnatrons. I have one in the neck of my Epi Sheraton and it sounds VERY stratty.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

It would be more cost effective to sell yours and buy a normal Jag.
                      But then again once you hear how lame they are you'll want the HB's back.
                      Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

The route is HH. theres wood in between, its no swimming pool. I'm looking to go with 2 singles.

from this

to this.

I don't plan on using one like that, just a plain white or mint one.

i might actually install the vibramate in the future. I can't install a traditional jaguar trem on it, so this would have to do.

more or less the goal. i might go tortoiseshell

Comment

I think this will just require a new pickguard to get it that way. Humbucker sized holes should be bigger than the single ones, just get some singles, mount them to the new pickguard and most likely there will be no routing required.

Mine has Phat Cats in it man, and I really like them... Will probably put a '59 or something in the bridge in the future, but the Phat Cats are the ****! OR, might put a new magnet in the bridge PC.

I am going to be putting the vibramate in mine pretty soon as well, it's a great look, and I even like it better than the look of a traditional jag trem.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

New pickguard with strat pups is the answer.
                            Routes should be a non-issue.

Vibramate is the detachable base designed for the Bigsby trems that fix having to drill holes in the guitar body.
                            The B5 Bigsby trem is what fits flat topped guitars like that.
                            The B7 is what works on carved tops like LPs.

MM
                            MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                            Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Jaguar pickguards don't have screws to hold in the pickups. the pickguards are also shaped different, they need the claw or else they dont fit the hole in the guard well.

Comment

Working...
                              X