banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG. Today I played one of the first PRSes ever built!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG. Today I played one of the first PRSes ever built!!!

One of my co workers' uncle is Paul Reed Smith himself.

Paul gave my co-worker this PRS, thats probably early 80s. Serial number was 0566...

I played it today for 3 hours at band rehearsal. OMG this thing is incredible.

I've never played a more resonant dynamic instrument... Well it hurts me to say it but it's better than my heritage HC150. Better than my Jap jackson. Better than the Fender Eric Johnson (but only slightly). And better than my ibanez prestige.

Very versatile thing. It had a two way toggle switch that I think split the coils. And a 5 way rotary switch. The whole thing was bright red, 24 frets with a trem... Man I GOT to get me one of these things.... Grrrrr....

I played it through a Mesa boogie stiletto. The amp was actually the weak point....
    my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
    A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Re: OMG. Today I played one of the first PRSes ever built!!!

Yeah man, although I've never played a super early PRS, every PRS except one I've ever played has resonated and vibrated like it was plugged in to the wall - they really know wood selection and how to put them things together!
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Unkie PRS? get outta here! cool story.

Comment

Lucky boy PRS make some of the best guitars ever. An '85 one will have some really nice Maple and Rosewood which you can't use now as they endangered.
        "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

bet that was amazing! Ive never played an old one, but I have a feeling they completely kill the modern ones. Oddly, any of the prs' Ive played have only been ok.. Maybe I dont have the skills or chops to really appreciate them. I guess this is good cuz I cant afford one.. But sure makes me wonder what the hubbub is about..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            Oddly, any of the prs' Ive played have only been ok....But sure makes me wonder what the hubbub is about..
            I have always been underwhelmed by PRS guitar sbut I'd bet that one of the originals would be super sweet.
            - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
            Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
            Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
            I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

i would play them myself, but they aint left handed and the only lefty i know is 3000GBP
              Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
              you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
                i would play them myself, but they aint left handed and the only lefty i know is 3000GBP
                Rose Morris have them at the same price as the righty's but you have to order them (as you do the righty's) as right now they are only carrying the ltd editions with the 57/10 pick ups. Thomann have LH Mira's for £1150 same as the rightys. I think it's Headlines fault that you cant get them here now they are making them.
                "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

There's a lefty on the 'bay at the minute, as well. I think it's like £1800?

EDIT: Oh wait, there's two.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I worked at Guitar Center the week the first PRS's arrived. Everyone wanted one. Little did I know they'd become classic guitars.

The little switch on those guitars is called a Sweet Switch. It's not splitting the coils like the 5 way rotary does. It's actually some sort of capacitor/inductor that acts as a band pass filter.

I have mixed feelings about early PRS guitars, because I know they're made well, but the new ones appeal to me more. The early ones had a regular PRS neck which predated the wide/thin and wide/fat. I like the wide/fat much more. I also don't care for the tuners or HFS bridge pickup. But, those early PRS guitars in perfect condition will be worth a fortune someday.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I bet that guitar's worth some money.

Comment

Working...
                      X