banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOL I "love" how Yngwie handles his guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LOL I "love" how Yngwie handles his guitars...

Originally posted by Nagash View Post
    Musicians that are not very famous treat their guitars very well because they only have a few and because they really make the money (you can't be a musician if your instruments are broken, right ?)

With endorsement it's all different, Yngwie gets these guitars literally thrown at him. He has so many he doesn't know what to do with them anymore. They are not really his guitars either because he didn't WANT to have them, they were just given to him. So he doesn't treat them like he cares, he can play baseball with them, he'll be given another next year anyway.

And he still has 20 others left.
    I don't agree Nagash (no disrespect!), but endorsed guitar players far from always treat their gear so nonchalant as Yngwie does! It's just his attitude...
    Patrick Rondat from your country for example is an endorsed Ibanez player (sure, he's not as popular as Malmsteen, nor will he have the income of Malmsteen), but this guy has sincere respect to all the instruments I have seen him use or own.
    Bigger names like Steve Vai (to name one) who do have status, endorsements, and a pretty nice income, ask for cheap guitars to do "tricks" with that have more chance do damage or even smash/break the guitar when performing it do avoid damage to their "normal-playing" models.
    So I highly doubt that it has something to do with being endorsed or not, to me it's all in the attitude.

By the way, Yngwie does not get all his guitars as a present either, he buys them for sure too, as you can see in the video I posted above where he payed 3500 british pound for a Strat, and that is a pretty long time ago by now.
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
      Well they've all got mojo, that's for sure. That's real relic, from a real rock star, who really plays his stuff. They're just tools to him.
      ya i thought the same thing.... besides he smashes a lot of strats too... just toys and tools to him no matter what the cost is

Comment

That kind of wealth is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Closed Eye View Post
          That kind of wealth is disgusting.
          I'd have the same amount of guitars if I was in that position, so I can't comment.

I have no issues or comments to give about the way he treats those guitars. At least they get played, and don't just sit behind a piece of glass as he walks by them every day. That would be a shame.

PS. If you didn't like the way he treats his guitars in the video, turn a blind eye when I have my Les Paul in my hands...
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
            I'd have the same amount of guitars if I was in that position, so I can't comment.

I have no issues or comments to give about the way he treats those guitars. At least they get played, and don't just sit behind a piece of glass as he walks by them every day. That would be a shame.
            I agree that guitars need to be played, but every in Ygnwie interview I've read he comes across as an ostentatious and materialistic person.

I'm not disagreeing with his playing, because he's fantastic, or the way he treats his guitars, but moreso his lifestyle. Both videos in this thread are just an indication of how he lives and uses his money, but also don't tell me anything different about him as a person. He's probably not the kind of guy I'd like to hang around or have a beer with, if you know what I mean.

Although, I guess I would agree with Ygnwie's treatment of his guitars to a point, because I'm always up for taking pot-shots at blues lawyers and collectors who buy guitars and never play them!

Comment

i wonder how he treats the fancy Sport Cars he has in his collection... LOL... i'm more surprised by the fact that a player like YJM who is mostly a "guitarists" musician, has that type of cash in the first place... I mean in todays real money market place is where Walmart is selling pop cd's to kids when their parents take them shopping on the weekend and that is where the money is today...

on a side note, a lot of cd/dvd retailers are disappearing... stores like Best Buy here in Canada and Future Shop have pretty much got rid of their music sections saying Downloading has taken over right... going to be a lot harder for acts to make money in the future besides tours...

Comment

That's how I would treat Strats too. You can't throw Les Pauls around like that.
                Last edited by JOLLY; 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  That's how I would treat Strats too. You can't throw Les Pauls around like that.
                  sure you can... you'd just have to have a lot of glue around for the headstocks... LOL

Comment

You can play them or collect them....I prefer to play them.
                    Originally posted by tone4days
                    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Can anyone see what the price tag was on that red 61 in the video? Just curious what price a shop had on that in the window back then when most people didn't care for vintage strats, especially in the 80's when it was all about superstrats like Charvel and Kramer.

Comment

@JEM maybe you're right. Or maybe, if he paid for ALL his guitars, he'd treat them ALL better. But in fact I don't like Yngwie... not his playing, not his personality, not his guitars. It's important to know him but he's a bit too... self-centered I'd say. What do you think ?
                        There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
                        Don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash View Post
                          @JEM maybe you're right. Or maybe, if he paid for ALL his guitars, he'd treat them ALL better. But in fact I don't like Yngwie... not his playing, not his personality, not his guitars. It's important to know him but he's a bit too... self-centered I'd say. What do you think ?
                          I think if I didn't like Yngwie I wouldn't bother checking out this thread let alone post in it.
                          When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

As I said, it's important to know him in the guitar world... I think I like two or three of his tracks but... he shows off really too much IMO.
                            There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
                            Don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              He threw around his '68 V just like the strats. It might not be a LP, but it's damn close.

Comment

I love how his instruments are just lying there in piles on the floor. lol! Plus he's scalloped just about all of them, which pretty much ruins their value for everyone but him anyway (he loves them that way).

Oh, and I guess he like blond guitars, eh?
                                -
                                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X