Brass nuts :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass nuts :p

After switching necks from the crappy Mighty Mite to the Squier, I realized that Graphtech, for some odd reason, doesn't make pre-slotted nuts in 1 5/8" size. So I went for broke and got a Malmsteen nut for the Strat. I'm VERY impressed with the tone and I've had ZERO issues with tuning. I did rub old strings through the nut for a few minutes to smooth the slots and used some Teflon lube, but I'm convinced that the nut is not the main problem with Strats going out-of-tune. The acoustic tone of my guitar is much louder and clearer and harmonics are AWESOME!

Anybody else on the brass nut bandwagon?

Re: Brass nuts

I've thought about trying it, being an Yngwie fan, and all. But, I was always afraid of the tuning issues that people spoke of. I don't know why- He's used them for decades, and it obviously doesn't cause him any problems.

If I ever get my old Hoyer Flying V restored, I think I'll put one on it. The damn thing is so trashed I don't know if I'll ever be able to get it done. That's a whole other story, though...

This isn't mine, but it's just like it.

Comment

Actually, I think it had a brass nut on it, stock!

Comment

I have a brass nut on my '80 e/2 Explorer, never goes out of tune and I love the sustain
        Ladies, as long as I have a face, you will have a place to sit

2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard
        2010 Gibson Explorer '76 RI

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
          After switching necks from the crappy Mighty Mite to the Squier, I realized that Graphtech, for some odd reason, doesn't make pre-slotted nuts in 1 5/8" size. So I went for broke and got a Malmsteen nut for the Strat. I'm VERY impressed with the tone and I've had ZERO issues with tuning. I did rub old strings through the nut for a few minutes to smooth the slots and used some Teflon lube, but I'm convinced that the nut is not the main problem with Strats going out-of-tune. The acoustic tone of my guitar is much louder and clearer and harmonics are AWESOME!

Anybody else on the brass nut bandwagon?
          I am not on the bandwagon... yet.

I want to know what a Brass nut truly does to your sound. I know you mention better acoustics and better harmonics but I would like to know what difference it would make to a distorted sound?

If you don't mind me asking, typically how much does the Malmsteen nut cost? and did you purchase it from a shop or internet site?
          Last edited by Left_Hand_Strat; 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM. Reason: extra question...
          Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
          you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

I have a Les Paul copy with a stainless steel nut. Never had a problem with it, really.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I also want to know if any of you guys Polish your nuts???
              Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

I use "Deez Nutz" brand polish!

I divebomb like a crazy-person and have yet to have ONE string go out of tune noticeably, other than the usual and typical intonation issues between tuning it so power chords sound correctly, then realizing open-major chords are off. But that's not the nut's fault. Same thing with the Tusq nut.

There is a friction co-efficient between nickel-steel and brass that actually resists friction more than bone or other materials that are not self-lubricated. The surface of brass and that of a string can be quite slippery, as long as there are no burrs or machining imperfections in the slots. But it doesn't hurt to put some oil in there, just to help the string slip through better. Back when I had the other neck with the Tusq nut, I WAS having some noticeable tuning issues when using the vibrato a lot. But I realized that it was the tuning pegs were loose and just snugging the nut around the peg tight was enough to fix the problem. I really think most Strat tuning problems stem from the strings slipping on the tuning pegs or loose pegs, more than the nut-binding in my experience.

Another upside is it won't wear out as fast as Tusq or bone or similar stuff. I've never seen steel Strat nuts, but I suspect there might be more friction problems for trem users than with brass, due to the nature of the metals. Frankly my purchase had nothing to do with Yngwie, it was just the only pre-slotted brass nut I could find.

AWESOME V, by the way, whatshisname!
                Last edited by IanBallard; 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
                  I'm polishing mine RIGHT NOW. Want me to send you a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
                    AWESOME V, by the way, whatshisname!
                    Thanks! Mine was originally white, and then my friend, who I got it from, used it for his KISS tribute band. He spray painted it black, and stuck those little plastic rhinestones all over it. I've got it stripped, for the most part. Upon seeing the wood underneath, I decided to finish it like the one in the pic.

Comment

You leave the Polish out of this . . . they're the hard working people who gave us pierogies!
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by whatshisname View Post
                        I'm polishing mine RIGHT NOW. Want me to send you a picture?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        You leave the Polish out of this . . . they're the hard working people who gave us pierogies!
                        not forgetting bagels

Im tempted with a brass nut.... so do you get a trebly sound from one?
                        Ich bin mein führer

Comment

not forgetting bagels

Im tempted with a brass nut.... so do you get a trebly sound from one?
                          I'm considering installing a brass bridge in my tele.

so I'll let you know firsthand if the tone changes. I've heard brass in a ****ing pain in the ass to mold and work with though.

Comment

Not trying to open a can of worms, but-
                            I'm not convinced that a brass nut can really add all that much, except for when playing open strings- I would think that flatpickers would love them, and mostly lead players.
                            If you are playing a barre chord, it would seem the nut material would be irrelevant tonewise, as your fingers a muting everything between that point and the nut, I'd think that fret material would be as important.
                            Am I wrong in that thinking?
                            " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Rice View Post
                              I have a few different types, cow bone, brass, graphite, plastic, and my personal fave is 40 year old camel bone. Don't know if they really make that much of a difference, but I like the idea of having the old hunk of dead camel on my guitars. The camel bone is real tough to carve, and it's a darker, yellowish-ivory color. I was able to shape it and smooth it so nicely I can't even tell it's there. Very dense and tight grained. It took a while, but was worth the effort to me. Smells awful when you sand it with a Dremel... ewww... like a crematorium. There's a guy on fleabay who sells the blanks, from Hong Kong. Don't think there are alot of camels in Hong Kong, but it adds to the "mojo" for me, and the price is reasonable.
                              I found this on the Telecaster forum. theres a line in there that made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X