banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guitar for Strat feel, and Strat AND LP tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitar for Strat feel, and Strat AND LP tones?

So I've been playing pro for 24 years. I've owned just about everthing in terms of the big brands. During the late 90's I thought I'd found the perfect blend of Strat and LP, so I bought a pair of PRS Custom 24s. But I grew tired of them after a few years. They didn't have Strat mojo, and they didn't have LP mojo. They were just beautiful, but watered-down versions of both.

So I returned to Strats and LPs. But the dream has never died for me. I would like to find ONE guitar, that covers everything I do with it (metal, hard rock, fusion, country, and blues). IE... plays AND sounds great whether in the clean channel, or the OD channel.

I put a Duncan Custom Custom in one of my Strats. But it still sounds like a Strat. Which is awesome through my Fender Twin, but not-so-much through the OD channel of my Bogner. And I have several LPs with the Duncan JB/59 combo and coil-splitting -- but they're no Strat when it comes to the clean channel. But I LOVE the fat, sustaining LP tone through the OD channel.

So I'm just looking for ideas here. What about that see-thru red mahogany-bodied Fender Strat? Does that get stratty for cleans, but crunchy and LPish for OD tones? How bout an Anderson Drop Top? What else? I don't have a dealer for these guitars locally (supposedly one of them will be ordering some Anderson guitars in the future though). So I can't really try all of them out before I buy.

Or should I build my "perfect" guitar (for me) from a Warmoth body and neck. If so, what should I have the body made from to give me both worlds? How about H-H vs. H-S-H, vs. H-S-S pickup configs?

Sorry for the long-winded question... just trying to give you an idea of what I'm looking for and what I've already owned/tried.
    Last edited by Red_Label; 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: What guitar for Strat feel, and Strat AND LP tones?

Why does it have to be one guitar?

I'd say it's just not possible and get over it. I have several strats and several LP's, but never a PRS.

I agree, they are mojo-less LOL!

Comment

The Mahogany Strat might get you close. But, the thing is, the scale length will still prevent you from getting the true Les Paul sound.

It would be the same deal, if you put a single coil, in a guitar with a Gibson scale length. If you really want to nail BOTH, it's just not going to happen. No matter what you do, one of the two will be compromised.

Decide which sound you're willing to make that compromise with, and go forward from there. Guitarist have been dealing with this for years, and I'm sure you can find a combination that could be satisfactory.

Comment

Not gonna happen

I'd maybe point you in the direction of some sort of LP with p90's. It's not what you're looking for but it'll be a fat higher output single coil sound
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

The answer to this question is easy. A Musicman Reflex. Exquisitely built, contoured body for comfortable forearm positioning, chambered basswood body with mahogany tone block and custom wound Dimarzio pickups with air patented technology. I have a Les Paul standard and traditional pro and my Reflex sounds almost exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
            Not gonna happen

I'd maybe point you in the direction of some sort of LP with p90's. It's not what you're looking for but it'll be a fat higher output single coil sound
            That's what I was gonna suggest. The bridge P90s can definitely get stratty but can also bark like an LP if needed, but you are never going to get both a true strat and lp sound out of a single guitar.
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
              The answer to this question is easy. A Musicman Reflex. Exquisitely built, contoured body for comfortable forearm positioning, chambered basswood body with mahogany tone block and custom wound Dimarzio pickups with air patented technology. I have a Les Paul standard and traditional pro and my Reflex sounds almost exactly the same.
              But, does it sound like a Strat with the coils split? Good suggestion, but it may only solve half the problem.

Comment

In the Tips 'n Clips area Samhill has posted clips of both a Suhr Modern and an LP. They both have the same pickups and he's played them through the same amp. I think it gets pretty close to that peculiar LP thickness while feeling like a Strat.

Comment

Here you go....it can do Strat through LP, it has a shorter scale (24") but will meet all your needs....its a Red Special Custom Guitar although mine is a Blue Special.....nuff said, BAM!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whatshisname View Post
                    But, does it sound like a Strat with the coils split? Good suggestion, but it may only solve half the problem.
                    Yes absolutely. You can do it all with the 5 way switch and the sound is authentic both ways. Furthermore, you can put the pickups in parallel with the flip of a toggle and get a whole host of other sounds like a soapbar Les Paul Jr. or vintage strat sounds.

I'm telling you it doesn't just sound like the ideal guitar, it most certainly is. I'm blown away every time I play it and I have 2 Les Pauls AND a custom Musicman Axis Super Sport.

The Axis Super Sport by the way does incredible Les Paul/strat type tones too, but if you really want to nail the Les Paul sound in addition to the strat stuff, the Reflex is better in my opinion.

I'm not trying to show off my playing or anything here, I'm not that good, but I happen to have a mini clip of my LP std. and Reflex. Try to guess which one is the Les Paul.

Comment

put high output pickups in ur strat,
                      the dimarzio breed can make ur strat sound like n LP

it has that warm smooth sound u get from an LP in the neck position
                      and a crunchy tone that u can get on the bridge positon of an LP
                      "Greetings from Malaysia !"
                      http://www.youtube.com/aneyekay1
                      My Gear:
                      ESP LTD Ec-50 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
                      Ibanez RGR321EX w/ Tesla VR-Extreme
                      Custom Squier strat
                      Roland MicroCube
                      Kustom KLA20r
                      Joyo Crunch Distortion

Comment

You should check out a Music Man Steve Morse. Not necessarily to buy it but to see whether...
                        • the single coils and humbuckers next to each other
                        • and the TOM on a Strat

... fit your needs. The humbuckers in there are useless but nothing a pair of Pearly Gators couldn't fix. The single coils are good but the bridge one isn't vintage class.

Comment

I own a kit Strat made of Poplar with a maple neck/ebony board and an EMG 85 active PUP. This is as close as I have been able to get. I also own a Red Special and it feels nothing like a Strat but I think it sounds better than a Les Paul
                          Last edited by guitarded; 12-14-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Maybe a mahogany H/S/H Strat with your choice of pickups and some triple shots. That "might" get you close.

Comment

I really like the Reflex! Didnt really think it sounded like a Paul, but its nice. Ive played a few of the petrucci models and tho I LOVE the purple, I really didnt think they were worth $2k. But the reflex seems to be on point with price..

Prolly get flamed for this, but .... Carvin?? 25" scale, so still has snap, can get neck thru for paul ballz and sustain. The SC90 I had was wicked chunky with the PATB3 init

LOVE THE BLUE "red special"!!!!!!
                              Last edited by BloodRose; 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM.
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X