Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smashing Pumkins Gear????

hey guys

ive recently, after about 3yrs, started listening to my smashing pumpkins records again - and was pleasantly suprised!
    the band does indeed rock and im diggin alot of their tones at the moment

have any of u guys got an idea of what sort of geat the pumpkin folk used?

some of the tones are really good, some not so good

im especially interested in their 'Mellon Collie' tone - gr8!

THanks
    Ishan
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: Smashing Pumkins Gear????

I love the pumpkins too

Here's a website that has all or most of all the gear they've used

*Edit:* Sorry, i think you need the link to

100% Bass player

Comment

Billy uses strats with Lace sensors, and i have this interview here where he specifies using that ADA MP-1 preamp for all of te Gish album, and using KT-88 (as opposed to EL-34s) tubes in his marshall. Whenever I saw them live, or on TV, James always seems to be playing a Les Paul.

They also, obviously use big muffs. The interview says that he plugs the Muff into the low sensitivity input of his JCM800 with the master volume on full, and the praeamp volume barely on at all.

Comment

I know most of Corgan's stuff is custom made or tricked out.

I guy I used to work with was doing some recording work in the same studio that the Pumpkins were recording (laying down basic tracks for the Adore album) at here in Chi-town and he got to plug into Corgans rig. He said it was totally sick the tone he got. I guess one of the engineers said most of his pedals were custom made in England. he did say part of Corgans rig included a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pedal and a Vox wha pedal.

I also take my gear to the same guy who worked on Corgan's stuff back in the 90's and he said he at that point was using Marshall JCM 800 heads, and lots of tricked out stats with Lace sensors pickups.............Although back in the day when the Pumpkins were still just a local Chicago band (about the time Gish came out) I did see him play a Gibson flying V several times.
        Last edited by bearballz; 11-13-2004, 09:17 AM.
        Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
        1999 Fender MIM Strat...
        2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
        Line 6 Spider II 1x12
        Boss ME-50
        Boss DD-5

Comment

The bigmuff~>smallstone will getcha close enough to dance with..

James actually tapes a smallstone to one of his guitars .. I've seen it taped to his V and one of the SG's from time to time ... I've also seen him w/ tele's and a few other guitars..

I've noticed billy playing J-masters and sg's every now and again. but yeah he seems to be a strat/lace guy ...
          "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

if you look on a big muff manual, they mention the pumpkins like every paragraph from what i remember lol

its the US muff (silver n red), not the russian one. (black n yellow) surprising difference in tone considering they're claiming to be the same thing..

Comment

Working...
            X