What new switching options for my Charvel So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What new switching options for my Charvel So Cal

I'm still really liking my new So Cal, it plays and sounds great (DiMarzio Evo neck and Tone Zone bridge . . . sorry Seymour, it came that way!). However, I want to add a 5-way switch to try and broaden the tones available to me.

I was thinking of either doing something like this:

Neck HB
    Neck coil closest to frets
    Neck HB + Bridge HB
    Outer coils parallel
    Bridge HB

or like this:

Neck HB
    Outer Coils Parallel
    Outer Coils Series
    Inner Coils Parallel
    Bridge HB

I like that the second option is all humbucking, but also kinda want neck single coil sounds too . . . Would the inner and outer coils in parallel sound noticeably different from one another? What do you find to be the most useful split humbucking sounds for clean/slightly gritty playing (distorted sounds are covered nicely by the humbuckers already)?

Also, should I leave the guitar with the volume knob only? I like it with just the volume knob right now, but would the split humbuckers need something to tame their brightness with a 500K volume pot?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: What new switching options for my Charvel So Cal

This is what's on my Ibanez, and I really like it. All hum canceling:

Position 2 is really bright, sort of like the middle position on a Tele. Position 4 is fuller, pretty close to a Strat neck single coil.

EDIT: I like having a tone knob and use it all the time, but some guys get by just fine without it. Just a preference thing I guess.
    Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM.
    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Working...
    X