Good vintage style strat trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good vintage style strat trem

I've got a home-made strat which I put together with parts from a cheap samick which I bought 2nd hand. I now know that the new body wood sounds killer so I'm happy to upgrade the trem ( and maybe the tuners too) to something better than the Samick stuff. What are your suggestions for a decent quality vintage trem - LH too.

Re: Good vintage style strat trem

the callaham stuff, absolutely. I don't know of much better stuff being made, all I hear are good things.

Expensive, but at least the bridge block and the saddles would kick ass for your project.

Comment

+1 on Callaham. At the very least include on of their term blocks in the project.
      It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion.

--Bertrand Russell

Comment

Agree!
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Never tried the Callaham - but at about 1/2 the price the Gotoh GE101TS (Steel Block) sounds better to me than Fenders vintage vibrato bridge.

You could also go for the Gotoh 510 with milled steel block - I've got one on a Suhr and it is an awesome bridge. The narrower spacing might be a plus.

If you come up with a used Fender vintage bridge with steel block you can also try stripping the block and mating surface on the plate - that's one of the things Suhr does on their Fender bridge installs.

One thing to consider is string spacing at the bridge - if its 2.125", you will need the Gotoh 510 (for something a little more modern) or the Callaham (for something more vintage)

Comment

Thanks guys, checked it out and that looks the goods!!

Comment

"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

The Callaham is best, no question, but expensive even used.

A Fender MIJ from Ebay and a steel block from guitarfetish cut off a couple bucks.

Comment

....Best since when?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                    ....Best since when?
                    Most expensive

Comment

Tcch..

Comment

Callaham is fantastic. It's what I have in my Cleveland and the action is great and his fixing of the wobbly trem arm is great too. I need to get a block and saddles for my Am Std trem. The Callaham is pricey but it's MIA out of Bills alloys that are like the original.

Luke
                        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

for most lower priced project builds that i wanted a Vintage Trem for i just went with a Gotoh... i like them...

Comment

ps... that body's trem holes will have to be plugged and redrilled to fit a Vintage spec trem... the screw pattern is wider

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              Most expensive
                              They not only make ans sell products of the highest quality but their customer service is first rate. I haven't had any projects that required their products for a while but I recommend them at every opportunity because they old fashioned good folks to deal with and I swear by them. It's worth paying for if you can do it.
                              It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion.

--Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X