banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice on a good pick that is easy to grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on a good pick that is easy to grip?

Hey all!

Been playing for 23 years but the perfect pick has alluded me. LOL.

I have used Pyramid picks, Dunlop picks, D'Andrea picks, V-picks and quite a few others.

I liked the V picks for a while but after a while I did not like the thickness and found them to add a bright edge I did not like.

Been using D'Andrea UltraPleks and Dunlop Ultex.

Problem is, sometimes we come right out of the cold and into a club for a gig and my hands are ice cold so fingers are exctra dry and and picks feel like they may fly out of my hand. Sometimes they do, LOL.

So, anyway...was looking at trying some Dunlop Max Grip picks?

Any advice?

THANKS!

Re: Any advice on a good pick that is easy to grip?

Juststrings.com carries Clayton picks. The Clayton Cork Grip looks like it might be what you want. Or maybe the Sand Shark. Both designed for a firm grip.

Comment

Fender 346 shape for me.....plenty to grab onto and not so sharp a point for less bitey tone

Comment

I just started using a dime, I could not find a pick one day and the dime was it. Loved the grip and the "jump" it gives to the guitar note...
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I've found that the green Dunlop is the best sounding for hybrid picking, because it's a heavy pick that has some snap, but just enough softness on the attack to not sound drastically different from a thumb.

I'm a believer that a pick has a tone, and the green Dunlop sounds good to me.

Normally, I'm fine with any heavy pick.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 12-21-2010, 11:38 PM.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Well a pick will change the way you play and the way you sound but if grip is your only issue the Dunlop Max Grip packs can not be beat!

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Everly Star Grips

Last edited by trevorus; 12-21-2010, 09:46 PM.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
              Originally posted by Securb
              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Any 1mm you like and take any sharp object and scratch multiple large X’s on both sides of the pick.
                Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

I use 2 kinds of picks: dunlop .60 tortex and .8 gator grip.

both feel nearly identical, i tend to go with tortex because the surface is a bit slicker and affects tone in my opinion.

Comment

Planet Waves Sure grip pick

Cool Picks Juratex guitar pick

Orbit guitar pick

Clayton Sand Shark grip guitar pick

To name a few.

Comment

Wow, Gear....you consider the Dunlop .88 a heavy pick? Maybe I have been using picks that are too heavy! I have been using 1.5mm and 2.0.
                      I always liked the way I sounded when using Dunlop Ultex, Tortex picks or D'Andrea picks. I noticed my playing and tone got worse when I used Pyramid Celluloid picks. Wonder why! Same with V-picks......no go for my tone and playing.

Went back to Dunlop and D'Andrea and it has been better.
                      Wonder why D'Andrea mostly makes thick picks?

I notice I only had issues with dropping picks since going to really heavy picks the last few years....V Pick and anything 2.0 or so.

For now I am trying my D'Andrea 1.5mm which are light for me after what I have been using. Also testing out some Dunlop Ultex and Tortex. Might grab some Max Grip also.

Anyone try the D'Andrea Pro Plecs?

Anyone try the Dunlop Gator Grip? I have some sitting in my drawer from 8 years ago that are new but they seem slippery!
                      Last edited by papersoul; 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                        Anyone try the D'Andrea Pro Plecs?
                        Yeah. They seem like there gauged at 1.5. They've got polished edges. They are too clunky for me belive it or not, but a lot of D'Andrea users love them.

I like D'Andrea picks and I'm using the Delrex picks and they've got a matte finish with improves grip without feeling strange.

Comment

Btw, you definitely picked the right day to ask about guitar picks because I'm online and I own a plethora of picks that have been heavily put through their paces for probably ,at least, full year now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson Distortion View Post
                            Yeah. They seem like there gauged at 1.5. They've got polished edges. They are too clunky for me belive it or not, but a lot of D'Andrea users love them.

I like D'Andrea picks and I'm using the Delrex picks and they've got a matte finish with improves grip without feeling strange.

What ya like about the Delrex picks??? Which gauge?

Have you tried any of the Dunlops like the Poly pick, Gator Grip, Tortex or Ultex?

We play classic rock to hard rock by the way...some metal.

I hear ya on feeling strange..any time I have a pick with raised bumps are ridges for grip....it feels odd! That's why I was hesitant to try the Max-Grip.

I will have to see what material sounds best too! Plastic, nylon, compounds...what's a delrin formula? Dunlop has the Delrin picks just like DeAndrea. Maybe I will try theirs! Keep it simple and stick to Dunlop, LOL! Keep my sanity. Although the Delrex picks have a grippy surface which could help.

Not sure what Ultex is made from.

The Dunlop Poly picks look interesting too!
                            Last edited by papersoul; 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                              What ya like about the Delrex picks??? Which gauge?
                              I like the Delrex picks because they're similar to Dunlop Tortex's, but a tad harder and brighter it seems, which makes my tone for high gain stuff sound as sexy as ever. Athough the black Delrex's are a bit softer sounding and playing in comparison to the regular colors, but I've found that to be the case with most black material picks. I guess it's something about the mixture they use to produce those picks.

Currently I've chosen the 1.0 mm. Usually I let the picks run thier course, but the process is so maddening I just said, "Screw it. I like the D'Andrea's because I like the logo (lol), they're similar to the familiar Dunlop Tortex, but they're a little more harder. I'll learn to love it." That was 1or2 days and a half ago. I'm sorta afraid of what might happen tonight when I go back, but I'm sincerely going to try and make it stick because it is maddening. Don't try this at home.

Have you tried any of the Dunlops like the Poly pick, Gator Grip, Tortex or Ultex?
                              I own all the one's in bold. Not sure about the Poly.

Gator Grips have been entirely hit or miss with me. I've been stuck on the .56 mm's before, 1.5's, and 2.0's. I guess, mostly all those gauges, but they eventually get too soft in tone and feel for me.

Tortex for some reason fall short in very miniscule ways for me. Like the 60's feel good, but eventually feel too flimsy. 73's feel like they should work, but don't quite. .88 mm seems like the next logical step, but is a tad too thick in comparison to the .60 and .73 mm's. 1.0 mm never seems to stick and 1.14 mm is a bit too light in comparison to other brand of picks of the same gauge.

Your miles may vary.

We play classic rock to hard rock by the way...some metal.
                              You've definitely hit at the right time.

I will haveto see what material sounds best too! Plastic, nylon, compounds...what's a delrin formula? Dunlop has the Delrin picks just like DeAndrea. Maybe I will try theirs! Keep it simple and stick to Dunlop, LOL! Keep my sanity. Not sure what Ultex is made from.
                              Delrin is basically very hard and bright. Like the Dunlop Derin gauge of .46; while flimsy, it still is very bright and hard relative to it's thickness.

Not sure what Ultex is either, but it's definitley one of the most useful guitar picks out there, although I can't full get along with any of the gauges. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X