banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just bought my first SG and it's the one i always wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: just bought my first SG and it's the one i always wanted...

Sweet score man! Amazing!
    Now if you don't mind a SG related question that really bugs me...

I recently tried a '63 SG and I was surprised at how thin the whole guitar is!
    The action was super low and even if it had been sky high you still couldn't take the neck pickup far enough from the strings for my taste.

Are all SGs like that?
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by these_go211 View Post
      i think all of us on this forum are wondering how someone called "WhoFan" did not have a townshend SG until now
      Ya i know... but i was more drawn to Pete's Les Paul Deluxes so i had bought a 76 Deluxe many many years ago.... i always held out hope oneday i'd own a 72-74 ish Les Paul Deluxe in Gold Top.... that to me was The Who guitar to own... Pete used those on the great 75 By Numbers Tour.... must of had 6 Gold Tops... by 76 he had added some Pancake bodied wine reds and sunburst models with the maple necks... by the 76 spring USA tour he was modding them with the middle humbucker...

But it was the earlier 72-75ish era Gold Tops with Mahogany necks i was most interested in... saddly they are so expensive i can never afford one now... hell i can't really afford this SG... as much as i'd like to be a rich guitar collector i'm just a blue collar worker... but we still get some luck sometimes

Comment

I'm the guy WhoFan tagged to post the pic for him, and here it is:

Everything an SG should be if you ask me.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Nice score...really kool of the store to stash it for ya...so, are ya gonna smash it into a stack? hehe, have fun bro.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
          Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
          Celestion speakers
          Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
          Too many pedals....

Comment

That thing is perfect. Just the right blend of class and swagger.

Comment

Epicly ****ing cool, man. Congratulations. Let's not have any real Pete impersonations with it though, eh?
              I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Very sweet!
                Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                Guitar to sound output:
                Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  Sweet score man! Amazing!
                  Now if you don't mind a SG related question that really bugs me...

I recently tried a '63 SG and I was surprised at how thin the whole guitar is!
                  The action was super low and even if it had been sky high you still couldn't take the neck pickup far enough from the strings for my taste.

Are all SGs like that?
                  ya they are thin and you get the sense you have to be gental with these things... not a lot of wood around the neck joint... mind ya the neck joint area was even thinner on some other SG models to the point the neck could snap off way too easy....

my neck PU is sunk in the body pretty low... whole thing sounds great

Comment

Originally posted by butnut View Post
                    Nice score...really kool of the store to stash it for ya...so, are ya gonna smash it into a stack? hehe, have fun bro.
                    i'm going to baby it.. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                      I'm the guy WhoFan tagged to post the pic for him, and here it is:

Everything an SG should be if you ask me.
                      Hey thanks for posting the photo Rich... i just had to take a photo of it with the new Leeds box set!

and thanks for the comments guys... it is a sweet axe...

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                        fantastic..... Nice one!
                        +1.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Nice guitar... glad to see you finally got one
                          Originally posted by kevlar3000
                          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                          Originally posted by Zerberus
                          Better is often the enemy of good
                          Originally posted by ginormous
                          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i also have longed for an sg,but i would like one in a flame top and i dont recall ever seeing one of those.
                            play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

Working...
                            X