banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Ibanez wont stay in tune, please help, seriously...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Ibanez wont stay in tune, please help, seriously...

I've recently bought an Ibanez JS1000BP (Joe Satriani). Now, this design is really different for me. I've been using a LP copy for the past 2 years.

I don't know much of the technical terms for the parts on the guitar, so I'll describe where, what, and how I've been tunning it so far.

1) I've been loosening the locking nuts up at the top of the neck, so that I can use the keys on the headstock to get the strings in ball park tunning. Either a little flat or little sharp of where they're supposed to be.
    2)I lock the locking nuts back down
    3) I use the small screws at the bride to fine tune the guitar into standard tunning.
    4) I tune it two times in a row using the small screws. The first time with my tunner really gets me there, and then the second time I used my tunner again and Im dead on.

But within a matter of minutes, all the strings go slightly out of tune. When i go to play power chords with the distortion on, it really sounds crappy, but when Im playing clean, it obviously isn't as noticeable.

Im using Ernie Ball strings, 9 gauge. I was told to stick to 9's, I tried 11's and it really screwed the guitar up lol. Is there something Im not doing right? I really tighten the locking nuts down well, I dont wanna push too hard though, but I've been pushing hard enough with the tightening.

Please help me out guys, $1,200 on a guitar that can't seem to stay in tune is incredibly disapointing. Today I tried locking the nuts that hold the strings in at the bridge and broke two strings so the bridge is really f'ed uo. Im gonna be bringing it to my local shop and have them restring it and show me how to do it properly and ask them about the tunning situation, BUT PLEASE GIVE SOME INPUT GUYS.
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: My new Ibanez wont stay in tune, please help, seriously...

ok .... well, brand new strings need to be stretched out before they will retain their tuning .. as they stretch, they naturally go out of tune and need to be retuned ... after they are stretched, they should stay in tune ... i usually 'tune' each string 2 half steps sharp when they are new and gently tug on them over the whole length of the string a few times then leave it sit over night ... the next day i go back and tune to standard pitch and typically dont have much trouble after that

on a guitar with a locking whammy system, i cant be of much help, but i am sure some of the 'floyd' experts can give you some tips

good luck
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

thats what I was gonna say .... if the guitar is brand new .. sometimes the trem springs need some working in as well before they find their way "home".

when it comes to tightening the locking system .. "snug" is the word I like to use .. theres no need to crank on em .... just nice and snug.
      "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

that thread in the vault might help
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

The Vault thread pretty much says it all.

It's a delicate balance of tension between the strings, the trem springs, the tuning machines, and the bridge adjustments. Take small steps adjusting and retune constantly.

Comment

Your intonation is out. You can't switch string gauge, adjust action, turn the truss, or use alternate tunings without re-intonating the guitar, meaning that the saddles have to be set so that all notes from the 10th fret to the 20th have to read DEAD CENTER on a tuner. If you tune your guitar perfectly, check all those notes with a tuner, and you'll see that some of them drift flat or sharp. That's the problem.
            Until you get a pro intonation setup on that guitar, you'll drive yourself crazy playing it.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
            X