pre-amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-amps?

ok so im trying to record some tracks on my computer, but im micing the amp with a computer mic, and the quality is so crappy and so compressed. So recomend me a good, cheap pre-amp. BTW im using WaveLab.
    Fender MIM Stratocaster hotrails/coolrails/JB jr. :nana:
    Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb :notworthy
    Martin&Co DXM Acoustic :smash:

my music :feedback:

Re: pre-amps?

define cheap ...

for less than $125 you can get a yamaha magic stomp that is otherwordly in terms of quality and features when it comes to recording

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

under $200 maybe..i have no expirence with pre-amps, i want one that is "cheap" but isnt worthless..i think ya know what im tying to say

Comment

I don't think it's a preamp issue so much as a cheapo soundcard. Even if you get a preamp, you'll probably be dealing with wicked latency issues if you try to do any multitracking.

Why not just get a guitarport?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

Originally posted by fourbanger_82
          ok so im trying to record some tracks on my computer, but im micing the amp with a computer mic, and the quality is so crappy and so compressed. So recomend me a good, cheap pre-amp. BTW im using WaveLab.

for budget conscious, if you have a discrete recording tape deck, that has mic in, you can use this as a preamp into the puter. what i have been doin for years now.

germ
          Jeremy Ledford
          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
          Tone Shop

Comment

if you already have a good mic, you can get good recording results with pretty low latency using an M-Audio mobile pre ... it connects to the computer via USB .. it is a mic preamp, as opposed to the magicstomp that is a guitar preamp .. the mobile pre takes the place of the soundcard ... i am not sure if the yamaha lets you send audio out the USB .. it DOES allow you to do patch editing via USB which ROCKS .. with a magicstomp AND a mobile pre - you'd be totally set
            gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I hate to sound like a broken record, but what you're missing is a "mixer", not a preamp. (The mixer will have a preamp built in.) When doing computer recording, the computer is acting as a digital tape recorder. The sound card simply gives you the analog-to-digital interface.

The mixer is the device that interfaces real world devices; mics, guitars, keyboards, into your computer-cum-recorder. Not to mention, it gives you much greater versatility in level matching and connectivity.

A cheap $49 Behringer will make a world of improvement.

I use a fairly nice Tascam Model 3, (can be found on eBay for $200 - $800), with a $8 sound card, and get killer results.

Comment

i see your point artie ... but isnt a mixer really only useful if you want to 'mix' more than one thing at a time? ... if he only wants to record 1 guitar signal at a time(whether from a mic's amp or a direct line input from a preamp), i am not sure that he needs all the extra functions of a mixer (although, i agree they'd expand his possibilities / flexibilities)
                gear list in profile

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                  i see your point artie ... but isnt a mixer really only useful if you want to 'mix' more than one thing at a time? ... if he only wants to record 1 guitar signal at a time(whether from a mic's amp or a direct line input from a preamp), i am not sure that he needs all the extra functions of a mixer (although, i agree they'd expand his possibilities / flexibilities)
                  Thats a good point also, but a "cheap" mixer won't have many "extra functions".

The thing is, a mixer gives you, not only simple connectivity, (not fiddling around behind the computer), but also level-matching chores. And, its hard to imagine anyone making music, who won't eventually want to play along with another sound source: CD, record, tape, etc. Thats where a mixer shines.

And, you'll be hard pressed to find a preamp for less than the cheap-ish Behringers. BTW - for the record, I use Behringers as an example because they're inexpensive, brand new. I'd highly recommend moving a bit upscale to even a used Teac/Tascam, or Mackie, or anything better.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                    Thats a good point also, but a "cheap" mixer won't have many "extra functions".

The thing is, a mixer gives you, not only simple connectivity, (not fiddling around behind the computer), but also level-matching chores. And, its hard to imagine anyone making music, who won't eventually want to play along with another sound source: CD, record, tape, etc. Thats where a mixer shines.

And, you'll be hard pressed to find a preamp for less than the cheap-ish Behringers. BTW - for the record, I use Behringers as an example because they're inexpensive, brand new. I'd highly recommend moving a bit upscale to even a used Teac/Tascam, or Mackie, or anything better.

Artie
                    yeah, that's a good point .. functions for now, and headroom for later ... good approach!
                    gear list in profile

Comment

ok check this out..tell me if this will solve my problem

Amp ->Shure SM57 -> Behringer Mixer -> Computer -> Cakewalk

still confused..so i need a digital or analog mixer?
                      BTW, im recording 1 guitar at a time, mixing it with cakewalk

Comment

get a simple analog mixer ... then cakewalk will serve for any digital 'mixing' you need

good luck and let us hear the clips!!

cheers,
                        t4d
                        gear list in profile

Comment

k...im checking out this Behringer Eurotrack http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/631238/ right around my price range, anyone have any expirence with this product or one similar?

Comment

Working...
                          X