X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk clean tones!

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
    I almost exclusively play clean.

The only pedals I own are an overdrive & a wah....I've got a multi-effects unit, but it rarely gets used.

Mainly, it's Tele into a Hiwatt or the P-90 Goldtop into a Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 4x10

Keeps me humble & honest!!!!
    Puckboy, is that Blue Angel still treating you good?

As for me, 90 percent of my gig is clean. Clean and on the edge of breakup is where I live. Most of my soloing is done with a clean tone. my vibrolux is quite a fat clean, which helps.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by seafoamer
      Hey! how'd he do that???

im lost as well...lol

also, i love clean tones. mostly from single coils though. when i play my strat, its about 90% clean and 10% dirty

with the humbucker guitar, its about 70% dirty and 30% clean
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
        Puckboy, is that Blue Angel still treating you good?
        Oh yeah....best move I think I've made. The P-90s match it perfectly.

I wanna figure out recording & get some clips up of this combo......very well kept secret & I thank you again!!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Polytone minibrute or acoustic image clarus IR
          Last edited by Studiobuddy; 11-14-2004, 07:58 PM.

Comment

For cleans, I like sitting where I can pick clean and dirty at once. That right on the verge level where picking dynamics can hold your sound clean, or send you over the edge.

I also like being pure clean, but unless you're bi-amping, it's hard to balance the volume if you're switching between clean and dirty that way.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

i love the tone of my strat deep into the clean "headroom zone" of a 100 watt amp.
              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I wanna figure out recording & get some clips up of this combo......very well kept secret & I thank you again!!!!
                Cool. You'd have to get pretty vintage or boutique to come up with a better amp...
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I have a '94 Blue Angel with blue leather covering! It is a 1x12 model, and the cleans on that are awesome...

Here is a song with the BA, a TS5 tubescreamer, and a Line6 DL4 Delay...A Ready Thing

Well, it isn't clean, but you get to hear the amp anyway...
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Studiobuddy
                    Polytone minibrute or acoustic image clarus IR
                    I have no idea how polytones got the rep they have, they sound like @ss. Most players who use them would sound so much better with a Deluxe or a Twin, but they arent as small and light and roadworthy as a Polytone.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like using every tonal shade. It's really amazing how many clean tones there are. I'd guess most players focus on the different timbres of gain tones, then consider a clean tone 'a clean tone.' To me, the best clean tones are ones that don't sound compressed or gainy, but still sing with sustain. I still can't make up my mind which tube type possesses my favorite clean tone. 6L6 has the balanced and most natural tone. EL-34's have a more tubby, woody and midrangey vibe, and EL-84's have the chimey/glassy thing going on. Between a Super Reverb, Matchless Chieftain, and Vox AC-30, I can't choose a winner. They're all killer in their own special way.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                        As for me, 90 percent of my gig is clean. Clean and on the edge of breakup is where I live. Most of my soloing is done with a clean tone. my vibrolux is quite a fat clean, which helps.

Ditto, but I do it with a Blackface Bassman head.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I was never much into the Fender "clean" sound, personally (an overdriven bassman/twin/deluxe is a different story). It sounds awesome and I love to hear others use it, but when I'm doing the playing I prefer a "pristine" chorused (or even a light Phaser) clean like a Roland JC, or just rolling down the guitar volume on a cranked Marshall or similar tube head (a "small" sounding clean if you will) where it's really responsive to picking attack/dynamics to break up a bit or not as I desire.

I also used to really like the Rockman clean sound (basically the same rolled down guitar volume & marshall "small" tone but crisper), until everyone and their mothers started using Rockmans
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm now "completely clean" as I've bought a decent attenuator for my Marshall plexi re-issue. Getting dirtier will come from cranking amp volume, but it won't need to go passed 5 for my taste (this is Angus Young territory). Even with this setting, you can get a clean rhythm sound with your guitar volume on 6 and cranking to 10 for leads. The only pedal on the way is an ABY box with a volume+mid boost feature.

Comment

Ten years ago, I was using fuzz channels almost exclusively and using clean for effect. Now it seems that I'm using clean channels the majority of the time, with distortion as the effect. Go figure.
                              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                                I have no idea how polytones got the rep they have, they sound like @ss. Most players who use them would sound so much better with a Deluxe or a Twin, but they arent as small and light and roadworthy as a Polytone.
                                The thing I've found about Polytones is that they're ridiculously clean. A lot of studio players used them in the 70's and that was because they could color the tone so much using pedals. Tommy Tedesco, Jay Graydon, Lee Ritenour all used them at some point in time. Of course, they were using pedals in front to give them distortion, phasing, chorus, etc. Polytones were kind of a "power amp" of sorts. I'm not a big fan of them either, by the way, but they do have their applications.
                                www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X