Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL 401 issues?

Hi guys,

I am narrowing down my amp choices and the DSL 401 loosk ideal for me, small enough but enough power to rock out...i think...

so why is there a heating problem exactly? I have ehard about this quite a bit and that would be my main reason for not buying the amp. I dont wnat to have to install a fan or anything but why does this occur? and does it occur in other combo amps as well?

Thanks guys

Jason
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: DSL 401 issues?

one mroe thing how do the dsl 201 combo fair as well? IS it gig worthy and loud enough? Also does it face the same heating issues and dependability issues as the dsl 401 does?

Comment

if you're gonna get one, get it new and take the warranty. mine broke after about a week, was rewired and has rocked out fine for exactly a year now. no fan or anything installed, the repairer must have just done a better soldering job than marshall..

for sounds, you wont get better for the money. as for volume, will do a club gig easily if you open up the power tubes as much as possible.

try one out. after about 5 minutes you'll know if it's the amp for you

Comment

I had a heating problem with mine when i got it used. To be safe, I went to Radio shack and installed a $20 fan. That takes care of the heat.

However, I also fixed the overheating. I replaced all of the tubes and biased the amp. It seems that if the tubes are not biased properly with this amp it will overheat. It still gets warm as any tube amp does, but no overheating. Now I don't even use the fan.

Comment

how does the dls 201 fair as well? does it suffer heating problems? and is it lou enough to gig at all?

Comment

I bought my 401 used and the guy had already installed a fan inside it that turns on when the amp is turned on, I have heard about problems on harmony central though, I would look for a used one that has a fan in it because buying a new one is not a good deal at all, I would never had payed $850 for it

Comment

One concern is does the dsl 201 combo suffer the same problems as the dsl 401? I kow it uses 2 el84 tube sinstead of 4 does that make a differnce? Also the wattge is only 20 on the 201 whihc may be more ideal for me.

Comment

i think the 201 is discontinued, but fire away

Comment

dammit lol oh well does the mesa F30 face any hetaing issues? i am rather catious to buy the dsl because of that heating issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X