buying a martin: quick question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a martin: quick question:

what's the diff between Martin's orchestra and grand performance size guitars?

Thnx,
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: buying a martin: quick question:

I don't really know. But I love Martins.

Comment

Go with the grand performance.

They're both nice, the GP has a more comfortable style to me. It's reminds me of my old taylor 314ce. It doesn't look as big as a dreadnaught but still has the low end boom.
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Do you have a specific model you are looking at?

The OM or Crchestra model is 25.4" scale and usually has scalloped bracing. The 28's are Rosewood & the 18's are Mahogany. This is a great sized guitar because it is small enough to fingerpick yet big enough to strum. The "D" or Dreadnought are just too big for my liking and they tend to be boomy in Rosewood. I prefer Mahogany in this size(D18). Another good size to consider is the triple"O". The scale is shorter(24.9) and makes the strings a little floppier so fingerpickers prefer this size. Really nice guitars and they sound awesome. I don't have a lot of working knoweledge of the performer series

This is a linkt to the GPCPA2 Performing Artist!
        Browse the Martin series guide and decide which series is the best fit for you. From the Road to the Modern Deluxe series, find everything you need to know

This is the specs on a MArtin OM28 Marquis
        Browse the Martin series guide and decide which series is the best fit for you. From the Road to the Modern Deluxe series, find everything you need to know

The primary difference is I think the Performing Artist series is equipped with electronics & a cutaway where the others are not but these features are available as an option.

The basic understanding of Martins is simple. The 18's are Mahogany, the 28's are Rosewood. The 35's is a 3 piece back with a nice V in the middle.

THe D size guitars are bigger and deeper generally this gives more bottom. The D guitars are usually equipped with 1 11/16th nut width.

The OM & triple O are smaller in size and are generally considered to be better for a fingerstyle player. The nut width is usually 1.75" so fingerpicking is a little easier. The difference in scale length is 24.9" for the Triple O & 25.4" for the OM. OM's usually have scalloped bracing but from what I read the Performing artist doesn't have scalloped bracing. As a performing guitar it may not be necessary.

Good luck in your search. I don't know how you are planning on buying this guitar but I would highly recommend you go to a shop & play as amany differnent models to get a feel for what fits your hand and what sounds good to you. MArtins are wonderful guitars but I have played some bad ones. Proper setup is really key on these.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The only real diff is a cutaway and the electronics. Everything else is the same, more or less.

BTW braces are scalloped on both.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Only use gin and a hint of vermouth, and don't shake the damned drink. Wait, you said buying a martini right?
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
            X