Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone caps question

Hello all,
    It's been a while since my last post. Since I've been gone, which I'm sure nobody noticed, I finally rewired my guitar with the p-rails, triple shots and series series-parallel switch and phase switch on vol and tone knobs respectively. I flipped both pups with the ts switches on the bottom. I must say that made a world of a difference in tone and looks cooler too IMO.
    After all the tweaking I got curious about all the different tone caps I've come across on the net. My question is what do all the values mean? Does it affect the tone? And if so is there a 'best' one?

Re: Tone caps question

No, there of course is no such thing as a "best" tone, only different. Higher value tone caps will dip further down in to the frequency range in what they cut from the signal when turned down. The effect of lower value tone caps will be limited to higher frequencies, leaving a bit more of the mid range in the signal. It gets a bit more complicated than that, with resonant peaks and such, but that's a basic summary.

And the value of the cap will have no effect when the tone knob is on 10. Unless you get in to the extremely low values (generally too low to be considered useful for tone controls, below the region of .01㎌) they value of the cap does not come in to play until you turn your tone knob down to at least the 3-5 range, below which point a difference in tone cap value can make a real difference. If you never turn your tone knob down past half way, it really doesn't make any difference what you put in there.

And all the fancy boutique tone caps will only sound different than a cheap ceramic or mylar of the same tested value if you believe they will. In blind tests, I've never met a person who can reliably identify a difference.
    Last edited by David Collins; 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frobro808 View Post
      Hello all,
      It's been a while since my last post. Since I've been gone, which I'm sure nobody noticed, I finally rewired my guitar with the p-rails, triple shots and series series-parallel switch and phase switch on vol and tone knobs respectively. I flipped both pups with the ts switches on the bottom. I must say that made a world of a difference in tone and looks cooler too IMO.
      After all the tweaking I got curious about all the different tone caps I've come across on the net. My question is what do all the values mean? Does it affect the tone? And if so is there a 'best' one?
      All the values? I only ever see the capacitance published for capacitors.

There are somewhat audible differences between different kind of capacitors (at same actual capacitance) but they are small and not generally what you expect. More expensive == better doesn't have to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by frobro808 View Post
        My question is what do all the values mean? Does it affect the tone? And if so is there a 'best' one?
        Capacitors typically have 2 values printed on them; capacitance and voltage.
        Voltage is meaningless for this application and only applies in that the higher the voltage the larger the capacitor.
        There are three capacitor types used in most guitars; ceramic disk, polyester film/mylar film, and paper-in-oil.
        They are made to differing tolerances, ie., just how closely their capacitance is to what it is supposed to be. Typically, anywhere from 5-20% with the tighter spec possibly being more expensive.

Typically, capacitance values can be anything from .015 to .047mf.
        The exact values can be anything that sounds good to you.

The variations are usually subtly different and can be guitar/pup specific.

Premier Guitar has a couple of articles on it here, and here.

MM
        Last edited by MojoMonster; 02-07-2011, 11:02 AM.
        MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
        Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Thanks guys. I was just wondering since I just recycled my stock tone cap. I figured it'd do the job

Comment

To reflect on what's been said already... Grab different values of different type caps and swap them out once a day... play one for awhile and then change it... Even if you come back to the first cap, you'll have that reference of tone in your head for future use... Some impacts on tone can't be described very well.... Ya just have to discover them for yourself... Besides it's rather fun exploring all the options...

Personally i settled on Orange drops... .022uF in for single coils and .047uF for HB's... Turns out that's kind of the industry standard... Go figure!
            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

So, for all you Fender Strat guys without rear control cavities . . . how do you choose which capacitor to use? Just keep swapping them out every time you change strings and remove the pickguard until you find one you like?
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                So, for all you Fender Strat guys without rear control cavities . . . how do you choose which capacitor to use? Just keep swapping them out every time you change strings and remove the pickguard until you find one you like?
                External test harness. There's no reason why any of the pots/caps have to be inside the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I use this.

Comment

Originally posted by David Collins View Post
                    I use this.

Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

No reason to go overboard.

Looks a bit different from the pic today. I added a 3-way Tele switch that switched between 250/250/47 and 500/500/22 and the customizable panel and added shielding.

Comment

Wow . . . you guys are significantly less lazy than me. I was just gonna solder different stuff in there every time that I change strings to tweak things if it needs it.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I would never make anything like this if I were just trying to choose a tone cap. The goal in the test rig I made was to be able to simulate virtually any scenario or pots/caps/arrangements, then demonstrate in real time what alterations will affect what changes in that context. It's more of a teaching tool than a test chassis, but I'll admit that it is nice to have around when I want to tweak something.

The simplest version is of course a couple of lead wires to the tone pot and some alligator clips.

Comment

For those of you looking to experiment with cap values etc., for Strats, there's always the Tone Shaper and similar from ACME.

MM
                            MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                            Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Well, if you just want to hear different types of caps, this one guy put up a blind tone test up on the web where you can hear different types of tone capacitors of the same value (one has a different value.) Of course, how they sound in your guitar might not be the same as they sound in his, but it kinda gives you a feel for how they sound, relative to one another.
                              "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
                              - Marilyn Manson

Comment

Working...
                              X