Dumb Case Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Case Question

How tight should should the guitar be in the case? I just got a new Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH and ordered the official Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster case. The fit is quite snug, but when I close the case, there is a fair amount of resistance when I close it. I definitely have to put a little pressure to close it, and I can clearly see the individual string indentations in the upper foam pad as well as the knobs. I don't *think* any damage is being done, but it makes me a little nervous.

Is this normal? Just curious!
    Last edited by cadred; 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM.

Re: Dumb Case Question

You usually do not want space and a snug fit. You do not want it to move much.

Comment

The case should be a pretty tight fit. If you can rock the case side-to-side with the guitar in it and hear the guitar knocking around, you have too much space. I think the string imprints in the lining is actually a good sign.
      "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

More importantly, how is the blacktop? I think they're a great idea, but our local shop has had some on order forever and they keep getting delayed. I'm dying to try one.

Comment

I prefer a case with a very snug fit. The less room for movement, the less likelihood the guitar will move and be damaged.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It will resist less as time goes on and the foam gets "broken in" to the shape of the guitar.

A case is like a running shoe --- too firm at first, but breaks in to the shape of the foot (guitar)
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

As long as it is just the foam then that is okay. It's what it is for. The blacktop should fit in the Jag/Jaz case so I wouldn't worry. I need to push down on pads to close my cases.
              "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

I think that's the point of a good hardshell case.

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
                  More importantly, how is the blacktop? I think they're a great idea, but our local shop has had some on order forever and they keep getting delayed. I'm dying to try one.
                  Tell me about it, I ordered mine in late November and got it last week! I got the black one and so far it's great. It feels really solid in the hand and the neck is really comfortable.

I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the pickups or not. They sound okay, but lack a certain clarity I'm looking for. I will note that out of the factory they come setup for 9's, but I found they felt too toy-like for me, and 10's are more common for that scale anyway. So if you try one out in the story, keep that in mind.
                  Last edited by cadred; 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'm dying to try out the tele.

Comment

Working...
                    X