Buying gear in Thailand/Bangkok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying gear in Thailand/Bangkok?

I am visiting Thailand/Bangkok in Christmas. Are there any good instrument shops down there? Is it cheap? How is the quality?

Re: Buying gear in Thailand/Bangkok?

Anhyone...?

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything there. There was a thread a while back about someone who got a counterfeit Gibson in Thailand.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Sorry, but what does counterfeit mean...?

Comment

It was a fake Gibson. If something is counterfeit, it means that it is fake and purposely designed to trick someone. For example, if you try to make fake money, that's considered counterfeiting. Counterfeiting is very common in that part of the world. If you were to buy a guitar in Thailand, it's possible you might end up with a fake.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

i have traveled there (and otehr places in Asia) about a half dozen times or so... no good bargains on western intruments there ... but it was a very cool place to buy eastern instruments ... i enjoy having exotic (by western standards) instruments around as conversation pieces and to spice up some 'world influenced' original recordings ... not very expensive either .. have a fun trip

cheers
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Hey-

I'm thinking about heading out there next year for a vacation. What can I expect? Can you recommend a good time of year to visit? Thanks!
              Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
              ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
              ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
              ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
              ESP KH-1
              LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
              BC Rich KKV
              Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
              Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Well I have to say that I live in Norway and that the instrumentprices is at least twice compared to the USA. Is the prices about the same in USA and Bangkok?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorg
                  Well I have to say that I live in Norway and that the instrumentprices is at least twice compared to the USA. Is the prices about the same in USA and Bangkok?
                  US-made instruments will be roughly the same price as in Europe, especially after you pay taxes.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                  My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                    US-made instruments will be roughly the same price as in Europe, especially after you pay taxes.
                    First that, and secondly the chances of gettung a REAL USA made axe and not a fake are about 1 in 100000.

Bad idea.

Once again, order stateside, even with the superhigh shipping and Norwegian duties (I think around 35%, or?) youj´ll still be cheaper than buying in a store in Norway
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Yes I know. I earn a lot by buying from the US.

Anway, I am not considering buying a real expensive guitar in Bagkok. Just hope to catch a cheap and cool one... You never know...

Comment

Originally posted by Sorg
                        Yes I know. I earn a lot by buying from the US.

Anway, I am not considering buying a real expensive guitar in Bagkok. Just hope to catch a cheap and cool one... You never know...
                        AH, OK, we thought you were going for "something better"...

I think a decent low end axe can probably be found more or less anywhere
                        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I mailed a guy who lived there and he said there were a lot good guitar shops down there....

Comment

The thing to be aware of is the massive climate difference. Thailand is fairly hot and humid compared to most places in the northern hemisphere. The reason Thai guitars are so crappy when brought to the states (among generally poor parts and labor) is that the wood has never had a chance to dry out because of the Thai climate. The wood comes to the states and it's like putting it in a vaccuum for moisture, and the wood warps.

If you do buy something and bring it back, watch it very closely and keep it well conditioned for the first few months as it becomes acclimated to its new climate.

Comment

Working...
                            X