X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superswitch for LP?

Anybody try out one of these guys:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...up_Switch.html

Supposed to be a 6 position switch to replace a regular 3-way toggle . . . I was wondering if they work well.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Superswitch for LP?

I have heard some pretty cool things about them but they look like you need to route a little to make them fit.
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Like all other tonal things, "clean" is relative. Do you want "sparkling drop of spring water", or "scrape some poop off the bottom of your shoe before you walk in"?

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
    Actually, shedding the blood of an actual white owl upon an altar wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

They don't fit in all Les Pauls although they do fit in most, according to the blurb. I'd imagine that round routs may be tight but oval ones are fine.

The other thing you can do is replace one of the tone controls with a rotery switch. That can be easier to use on stage.
      "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

I got one but didn't put them in yet.

One problem is that it isn't just a 60way switch. It has a PCB that makes the switching combinations they had in mind easier, but it makes it very hard to design your own schematics around it, just in case what you want hasn't been disabled by the PCB.

It's too big for a LP switch cavity.

Comment

Steve, looks cool. Would the triple shot be a better solution?
          -=The Dali
          --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

It's very cool. Put it into my SG3 instead of the rotary chickenhead it came with. Does a terrific job.

Works well when you've got the wiring right. If I figured how its internal PCB works with no previous experience in guitar wiring, just by going over the schematics they give you, I'm sure everybody else can.

Won't fit into an LP. You'll have to enlarge the 3-way cavity or replace one of your tone knobs with the 6-way. You may then, for example, wire the other tone knob so it works for both PUPs and convert the 3-way into a kill switch (just a thought).

Hope it helps.
            DoDo

Comment

I have a feeling that thing would drive me nuts. I'm used to swiping the toggle, not using my fingers to operate it like a mini stick shift.

I modded my LP Goldtop with pullup tone pots to split the coils and like that setup a lot. But, it was a major pain to do it. I had to remove the grounding plate, and even route some of the inside top to make the longer pots fit. Then, figure out how to rewire everything.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                Steve, looks cool. Would the triple shot be a better solution?
                I dunno . . . I was looking into rewiring my Epi Dot, and thought that it would be cool to do some coil splitting. I like the idea of using single switch rather that little tiny sliders. Figure it would be much easier if you want to go from say bridge HB (lead) to two coils in parallel (rhythm).

If you can only wire up certain combinations that might be a deal breaker for me though . . .
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I remember when i started fitting every beater ass epiphone (sg specials, LP special IIs) I could salvage with coil splitting and phase switching.

I later realized... If i want a different, unique tone... I can just step on the ABY box and pick up my SG.

The re-wiring and customizing is fun, but i guess i learned after many a burnt finger that I dont need the bells and whistles. Im good with just neck,bridge, or both.

that switch would make me feel like id need to step on a wah pedal every time i used it
                  (like a clutch) lol
                  Originally posted by Jay 77
                  Other than hearing incredibly shaky, sucky playing it sounds like #2 is the Gibson and #1 sounds like it's a steaming #2.

Comment

Working...
                  X