ES-137 Custom vs. ES-335

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES-137 Custom vs. ES-335

Ok guys, I've had my ES-137 Custom for a month and a half now and I gotta say I freakin love this guitar. I don't really get much use out of the Varitone...just gets too thin. But the 0 position (out if the circuit entirely) sounds great ,and the 1 position is usable in many situations.

My question is, have any of you ever compared the tone of the ES-137 and the ES-335? i still find myself gassing real bad for a 335 even though honestly I've got a guitar with similar construction and tone. I don't have a shop handy enough for me to compare the two and was hoping someone else had. Is there a big tonal difference or is it entirely cosmetic?

Any insight to either quell this random GAS attack (that I don't get often) or to fuel it would be quite helpful!

and since all threads are pretty much useless without pics, I'll include a pic of me playing my 137 custom at a jazz gig!

Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Re: ES-137 Custom vs. ES-335

If you play blues, jazz, or classic rock, you need a 335 regardless. Start saving.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      If you play blues, jazz, or classic rock, you need a 335 regardless. Start saving.
      Lol.

Ok, seriously though. Yes there is a big difference. What we are talking about here is essentially a full size jazzbox compared to a semi hollow. I've played both quite extensively, so what I'm sharing here is only personal experience.

The 137 was a great guitar for jazz and blues, probably would be my weapon of choice if this was my major genre of music. The entire pallet of tone and range of notes and octaves has a full nature to it, while remaining extremely open and airy. You're looking at big, hollow, acoustic notes with an electric flavor.

On the other hand, the 335 to me had a sound that was a lot more focused. Not as focused as a full solid body like a LP, but you get a more focused bottom end that is punchy rather than wide. This guitar to me had more of an electric guitar tone than an acoustic airy tone, but retained certain features due to the hollowbody that I really appreciate, like a certain character and shimmer in high strings. It also sits more comfortably on my body to my taste, and is less prone to feedback.

The best way I can explain it is that the 137 felt like an acoustic instrument with character traits of an electric, while the 335 feels like an electric with character traits of an acoustic.

I wouldn't go as far as bluesman and say that you need one (for 3k, it's not on my list of purchases), but it's a very interesting sound if you are into the blues-jazz-rock scene. It would compliment your guitar nicely, and give you a difference response.

Hope this helps. If you have more specific questions, don't be afraid to ask.
      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        +1.... The single cut doesn't make it. I have an archtop that I use on the rare occasions I may want to play Jazz, but for blues or rock I like either my 335 or 359! i find them to be more comfortable in the upper register then a Les Paul and the semi hollow nature offers a large amount of tonal options!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Personally, if I was you.... ES339 brother. Small, comfortable, wicked sounding, from the custom shop... and about 2k.

It is, at this point in time, one of the three Gibson guitars to buy when everything is factored in.
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Alright, great points made so far. But I'll mention a few things

The 137 is a small bodied semi-hollow just like the 335. It's not a full bodied hollowbody. It actually uses the exact same case that a 335 would use, It's just a single cut with a florentine instead of a rounded one.

As for the 339, I find the bigger bodies of the 135, 137, and 335 *far* more comfortable than the smaller 339. but that's just me and what I do.

I am primarily a jazz and blues guitarist, though I do other genres.

Anyway, keep the thoughts coming! I do love me some 335's, but just trying to determine if it's something I should bother still wanting logically (now irrationally, there's nothing I can do about it, haha)
            Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
            It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Working...
            X