Gibson 50th ann. 24 fret SG Standard limited run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson 50th ann. 24 fret SG Standard limited run

Other than the anniversary decal (who the hell thought of that?) it's nice to see Gibson come up with something subtle and usable in a new model (24 frets) rather than some of the bizzare stuff they've been putting out lately (firebird x, dark tiger).

I don't think Gibson needs to spend money on high tech gadgetry. They should make their classics, and then occassionally modify or modernize them with sensible features. Things like the 339 impress me a lot more than robot guitars.

Comment

Other than the color, the number of frets, the pickups and the body style, it's pretty cool...
      Originally posted by jcthejester13
      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

I dig the 24 frets not because i use 24 all the time, but because it makes it a breeze to get to the usual 22.

The lack of the 24 inlay disorients me a bit.

I shall abstain

Comment

I like it a lot, but that headstock decal has to go. It's really cheap looking. And I would have put an inlay on the 24th fret also, but that's not a deal breaker.

I'd like it with WHITE binding. White binding on a black guitar looks amazing. Gibson's peachy-cream binding is one of the reasons I bought an SG special instead of a standard...I'd rather have no binding at all.

EDIT: Here's a closeup...

Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 02-12-2011, 08:15 PM.
          "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Normally, I'm turned off by 24 fret necks, but my main guitar right now is the 2008 Guitar of the Month Gibson SG Diablo, which has the exact same neck. I gotta tell you, that neck is A mazing. And that's probably why they're doing this. On a 22 fret SG, there's a plastic plate in that area, so forget about the neck position theory. If anything, it's been shifted around by a millimeter, just to get it right.

I guaran-F'in'tee you that if you played this SG for a few months, it'd become one of your favorite guitars. I've got plenty of good guitars, and the SG Diablo with this same neck is addictive. It plays like a shred guitar with a full C profile Gibson neck.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 02-12-2011, 09:32 PM.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Gibson made the SG90 back in the early 90s. It had 24 Frets. I bought one when they came out and gigged it for 7 years.
              Sold it a couple of years ago.

Comment

I think it is odd to celebrate the SG, by adding a feature that was only available on a handful of models. I like the idea of using the improved, modern neck joint in conjunction with a small guard. Old and new together.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoboman View Post
                  Gibson made the SG90 back in the early 90s. It had 24 Frets. I bought one when they came out and gigged it for 7 years.
                  Sold it a couple of years ago.

SG-X, Z and "1" as well. 24-fret SGs make sense.

Comment

Good god man, EVERY time I get that guitar out of my system it appears again and the g.a.s. goes into overdrive.

I soooooo want one of these and (go ahead, laugh) a blue or yellow Zoot Suit.
                    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
                    X