Any Aldrich Pickup Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Aldrich Pickup Experience?

Was wondering if there is any feedback here on the pros and cons of these pickups and how well they do clean. Was thinking about putting these into an SG. Was hoping these coudl "fatten" up an SG. (Can't play LPs due to weight).

Re: Any Aldrich Pickup Experience?

You could ask a member here,his user name is Christopher Caruana
    Originally posted by GuitarDoc
    Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

I used to run one in my LP studio I had.. A very cool pickup. Although its a great pickup with nice crunch, I hesitate to use it again cuz it was alittle top endy.. Its been awhile since Ive run it, so I cant give you alot more detail, but others here use and have used it.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Yeah, Caruana has one in his number one les paul.
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I tried a set on a supestrat of mine. Mahogany wings and a mahogany/maple 5-piece neck-thru with a Floyd.

LOVED the neck pickup, didn't like AS MUCH the bridge, ended up going with a Tom Anderson H3 for the bridge.

What I liked about the neck so much was that it was thick and punchy with great articulation for solos but when split it had that airy, vintage-y stratty tone. I loved running it split for cleans.

The closest in the SD line to that is the Jazz which although similar is not quite the same.
          Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
          I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
          Originally posted by That90'sGuy
          Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I tried a set in a Les Paul studio at Guitar Center one time...

The neck is superb, crazy thick, compressed, articulate, PHAT tone. The bridge is good too, not as good, it's very stiff feeling. It didn't sound to great without loads of gain, but there were definitley some awesome tight rhythm tones in there somewhere, I just didn't try it long enough to fine 'em.
            Originally posted by jcthejester13
            Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

yes, i have the set in my les paul classic. These are by far my favorite pickups i have ever tried (and i have tried quite a few).

They are both very fat and hot sounding (if you like hot pickups). Even though they are very hot, they do have vitage characteristics to them. Aldrich describes them as "a hyped up PAF."

Bridge: reads 17.5k, Alnico V magnet. Top end has very good articulation (but can be a tad harsh), fat mids, fat bottom end. The one thing that people dont like about these pickups is that they are kind of "stiff" feeling. Even though the bottom end and mods are very fat, they are both very tight so there is no flub and it works great for de-tuning.

Neck: reads 9k, Alnico V magnet. The neck compliments the bridge pickup perfectly. Again the top end is very smooth, fat mids and fat bottom end. This neck pickup has the best high gain, liquid lead solo tone ever! but again, just like bridge, it is very tight and stiff feeling. But the stuffness is just so that there is no loss of definition when playing high gain.

Both pickups sound very good on clean for being so hot; and they sound even better coil tapped. They work well for, blues, classic rock, hard rock, metal and drop-tunings

They will fatten up your SG, but you may not like how stiff they feel. Personally, I love these pickups. They are expensive though, I think they are about $100 a piece, but if you have the cash, go for it
              2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
              Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

100$ a piece expensive?

I paid 150€ each, that's about 200$ A PIECE!
                I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                  100$ a piece expensive?

I paid 150€ each, that's about 200$ A PIECE!
                  they run about $120 here in the states bro.. Nice to see you peeling yourself away from the purple beauty to join us here....
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    they run about $120 here in the states bro.. Nice to see you peeling yourself away from the purple beauty to join us here....
                    I think if you buy the pickups directly from suhr, they run between $150 and $200. But I bought them from an online vender that carried suhr pickups and they cost me i think somewhere around $108 each maybe if i remember right
                    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

BloodRose: Hey Bro, I've been working approx. 10-11 hours a day, 6 days a week and this week I'm even gonna work on Sunday, not much time for playing I'm afraid, I only get to play her a little before I go to bed (acoustically obviously).
                      I am thinking however of going for different pickups (not that the Jazz/Custom aren't good, I just think I might be able to go even better).
                      Naturally the Aldrich came to mind for the neck pos.

CC: That's dirt cheap from where I'm standing man...

Comment

Working...
                      X