striping idea... opinions needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• striping idea... opinions needed!

Apologize in advance for the crappy paintshop sh!t... Anyways, here is my guitar basically, my plan is to stripe it this way using gold automotive pinstripe tape you can buy at kragen or wherever (anyone got any better idea as to how to go about this? I'm too poor to pay someone to do it, and the idea of me handpainting it will probably wind up much sloppier than you can imagine.)

Toying with this since I saw a similarly striped PRS. tell me what you think. Any advice, designwise? Too gaudy? Just plain retarded looking? be honest.

In retrospect, I'd probably have the stripes closer together and further towards the edge of the guitar... One can only hope my skill with the pinstripe work will be better than my paintshop skill. I made an example where the stripe goes all the way through the middle of the guitar, but it seemed to not look quite so good, so I stopped them below the string retainers. I'm no art student, so any advice is acceptable. Just wanted to add some uniqueness to my guitar. (oh yeah, I added the phase coil split switches where they are on my guitar).

Well, if it sucks, at least I gave yall a good laugh opinions?
    dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Re: striping idea... opinions needed!

I didn't think that I would like this, but its not bad. The only part I might do different, is leave off the part that comes into the bridge. Just have it go smoothly around the end. But thats just me.

One other thing. If you could get a small automotive-style pinstriping brush, and just practice on something, you might find that its not that hard to do, and would look nicer than tape.

Artie

Comment

well... reaction seems... tepid at best. In any case, I'm going through with it! And I should (luckily) be getting a digital camera in a few days, so pics to come.

I've found automotive touch up paint with a pen applicator, so lines come out smooth, and I've practiced on a few things, so tommorow I'm going to take a stab at it...

The stripes will be much closer to the edge and much smaller than they look in the bad picture I made... well, if I make a mess of things, I can use a little paint thinner and take it off...

just gotta psych myself. NOW'S YOUR LAST CHANCE TO STOP ME!!!
      dan

editted to say- whoa, this is my 500th post.
      Last edited by danglybanger; 11-18-2004, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Pinstriping tape: Autozone
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Yeah, I was on my way to the Zone (Autozone that is) for the tape, and saw the touch up paint with the pen applicator... and got that instead.

Alright, I admit, I'm suffering from insomnia right now, and just got done doing the outer rim of the pinstriping. I must say though... it looks much better than I thought it would. I'm happy so far.

I tried doing the stripe through the middle of the guitar, wound up not liking it, so I took it off with some paint thinner, and the stripe goes smooth through the bottom now. I also removed and redid the striping on the horns, cause I was dissatisfied at first. i understand this isn't the most permanent thing in the world but then again I don't want it to be. I can touch it up if I need to later, and it's easy to get rid of if I ever get tired of it.

Waiting for it to dry right now to do the inner stripe, in the meantime i'll do my math homework... that'll put me to sleep!
          dan

Comment

Working...
          X