Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thin body single cutaway guitars?

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    I have a phobia of being ripped off. I don't know enough about guitars to tell if I'm getting a pile of junk and I really don't want to spend the time or energy to figure it out. I'd rather go to a store and get a good deal from them. I've bought a ton of guitars from a few different local shops that give me great prices.
    It never occurred to me that you would be gun shy about buying used after being an active poster on this board for 6 years.

That's not a slam - I'm being genuine.

If I'm buying a guitar - even if it's for under $800 - you can bet I'm all over the web and eBay price checking both new and used. It's really hard to pay too much for a guitar if you pay even a little attention (bait and switch notwithstanding).

That being said, I'm glad you have some shops that you feel you can trust - but those salesman probably love to see you coming through the door.

Just sayin'.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
      It never occurred to me that you would be gun shy about buying used after being an active poster on this board for 6 years.

That's not a slam - I'm being genuine.

If I'm buying a guitar - even if it's for under $800 - you can bet I'm all over the web and eBay price checking both new and used. It's really hard to pay too much for a guitar if you pay even a little attention (bait and switch notwithstanding).

That being said, I'm glad you have some shops that you feel you can trust - but those salesman probably love to see you coming through the door.

Just sayin'.
      +1

I've bought many new guitars over the years, and many used. Just like a used car versus new, you get a MUCH better value after letting someone else take the hit. I paid $2600 each (new) for the PRS Custom 24s that I used to own. I sold them for $1600 each. One of them when to a student of mine and he's willing to sell it back to me for $1500. If I didn't have back surgery coming up soon, I'd buy it back. Used is where it's at for middle-upper tier guitars. The new prices are just a lot steeper.

For instance, the ESP Eclipse that I bought recently (just what the OP seems to be looking for IMO) was $1700 new. Luckily, a guy I know bought it for that, and I paid him $850 for it a few years later. It's been an awesome guitar. It's got a thin, lightweight body. Someone earlier recommended an Ltd 401VF. I've got one of those too. But they aren't thin. They are of the LP thickness and weight. The straight 401s, 500s, and 1000s are the thin-bodied models of the Ltd carved-top LP clones.

"Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

It's only money and it's worth it to me for the peace of mind. I also take very good care of my gear so when and if I do have to sell it doesn't usually hurt too bad.

Has it been 6 years? **** I need to get a life!

We're talking about 5 to 7 hundred dollar guitars here, not much of hit in those ranges.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

That's cool - if you're happy, then you're doing the right thing. I just know that I could get a whole lot more guitar for $750 used than I would buying new.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

In all seriousness I would consider an SE if the necks didn't feel like a baseball bat - that and the frikin birds kill me. How the hell are you supposed to be taken seriously with birds on your guitar?!?
            The birds don't bother me at all. BUT... those stinkin' wide-fat necks do! I have smallish hands and those necks just aren't comfortable. I had a PRS McCarty for a week back in '99 (after they first came out) and it was just awesome. But that neck just wouldn't do for my hands. I also had one of the early SE guitars and it had a wide-fat neck. Same story... sold it after a week.

I REALLY want to get a Single Cut of some sort (PRS or SE), but every dang one of them has the wide-fat carve. It seems like ONLY the Custom 24 models have the wide-thin. It really grinds my gears...
            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

It's only money and it's worth it to me for the peace of mind. I also take very good care of my gear so when and if I do have to sell it doesn't usually hurt too bad.

Has it been 6 years? **** I need to get a life!

We're talking about 5 to 7 hundred dollar guitars here, not much of hit in those ranges.
              Look at the ESP Ltd EC-1000 models. Those are right in your range and are great axes. I owned two of them after they first came out (gloss black and sunburst). I sold them cause I wanted the thicker bodies and the abalone was a bit much for me. But some of the newer ones aren't as gawdy. And now I like thin bodies. They make a 1000 just like my ESP Eclipse. Been thinking about getting one eventually as a backup to the ESP.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                That's cool - if you're happy, then you're doing the right thing. I just know that I could get a whole lot more guitar for $750 used than I would buying new.
                When you buy used you get what's on offer. I can get the color, style, neck etc. on a new guitar that I really want. That's just the way I roll.

In the end I'm a song writer and a singer, I use the guitar as a prop.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                  The birds don't bother me at all. BUT... those stinkin' wide-fat necks do! I have smallish hands and those necks just aren't comfortable. I had a PRS McCarty for a week back in '99 (after they first came out) and it was just awesome. But that neck just wouldn't do for my hands. I also had one of the early SE guitars and it had a wide-fat neck. Same story... sold it after a week.

I REALLY want to get a Single Cut of some sort (PRS or SE), but every dang one of them has the wide-fat carve. It seems like ONLY the Custom 24 models have the wide-thin. It really grinds my gears...
                  Last edited by ImmortalSix; 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM.
                  my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Get a PRS SE. Dave's Guitars in lacrosse has a bunch of them at very very good prices.

Single cut burst
                    Dave's Guitar Shop is one of the largest independent guitar retailers in the Midwest! Shop our large selection of Fender, Gibson, Paul Reed Smith, Martin, Taylor, Rickenbacker and much, much more! We ship our new and used inventory worldwide.

Single cut trem
                    Dave's Guitar Shop is one of the largest independent guitar retailers in the Midwest! Shop our large selection of Fender, Gibson, Paul Reed Smith, Martin, Taylor, Rickenbacker and much, much more! We ship our new and used inventory worldwide.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

This is a dumb question and a bit OT, but is buying a PRS SE singlecut vs a USA PRS in the same league as buying an Epi LP vs a Gibson LP?
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

sorta yeah. cheaper over seas made vs top of the line usa made

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                          This is a dumb question and a bit OT, but is buying a PRS SE singlecut vs a USA PRS in the same league as buying an Epi LP vs a Gibson LP?

The "valley" is not as wide between the high and low end models, with the PRS example.

I would say that SE and USA PRSs are much, much, much more similar than Epiphones when compared with Gibsons.
                          Last edited by ImmortalSix; 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM.
                          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

IMO, the PRS SE line is much better quality than the Epiphone line. That's in my personal experience. The comparison is valid as they are both imports vs. USA, however, that's where it ends for me. I'll take another PRS SE over an Epiphone any day. The Singlecut Korina I have is miles above the Epi LP I had and others I have played. I also notice that the PRS SE line is more consistent build wise. It doesn't take nearly as many to go through before finding a good one. Heck, every one has been good that I've touched.
                            Last edited by ErikH; 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                              Trust me, I've been tempted! But I'd have enough trouble convincing myself to do it to an inexpensive import axe, much less an American-made "boutique" axe.

Comment

Blueshawk

Or the butt-ugly Nighthawk

Comment

Working...
                                X