Turser vs Agile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turser vs Agile

This is just my experience, for anyone out there who is trying to decide. I bought a Jay Turser Serpent guitar and an Agile AL-2000 at the same time. The price of the Agile used was $150 shipped, and the Turser brand new was $275 shipped.

The Agile: This is my second Agile and my review for the AL-3100 is pretty much identical to this one except the 3100 has A5 mags and a thin sounding bridge pickup. That guitar was also bought used. The 2000 looks great, no sharp edges on the frets, the ceramic pickups sound fine. While they are not in the same league as Duncans, they sit in the band mix great, and the other guys in the band think the guitar sounds fantastic. I'm going to leave the neck pickup as it sings on leads, and that's about all I'll use it for as I'll use another guitar if I need good cleans. I'm replacing the bridge with a Duncan Brobucker. The action is right on, and the feel of the neck is superb. After a little while, I tend to forget I'm not playing a real Gibson LP, but comparing one to the other you will feel and hear differences. At least with my Gibson. I wish every one of you could get themselves an Agile and customize it to your liking. I don't think many of you would be disappointed.

The Turser: This is my second Jay Turser guitar, both of them being bought new. The first was a doubleneck that arrived in such terrible condition both sound and playing wise that I had to have Turser send me another. The one that arrived was a different color (white replacing walnut brown) but it played great and sounded fine. The Serpent guitar arrived looking spectacular. I set it up the way I like it, and the action was great, if not cheap feeling as my other Turser is. The frets have sharp edges, and the low E buzzed almost like a chorus sound. The pickups are weak, and although our bass player thought it sounded fine, the other guitarist and drummer agreed with me that it needed new pickups. After having the guitar a month, the E buzz is worse, and now it is fretting out on bends around the 11th and 12th frets and there are buzzes across the whole first fret and up around the 11th and 12th frets. I've raised the action but nothing helped. I contacted Turser to replace it, but they would not, advising to get a setup. I took a shot. After I sell a few things on eBay to afford it, I'll take it to the tech and see what he says. It is a stunning looking guitar, and I know that with a pickup swap, it will sound great. In the end, I will not regret the purchase AS LONG as the tech can fix the problems and the cost doesn't go through the roof.

That's it. I'm not saying Tursers suck, but if both were in the same condition I'd say the Agile line is hands down the better guitar and not by a small margin either. I love my Turser doubleneck and it is a fun guitar, but they both just have the cheap feel to them where the Agiles do not. The workmanship on the Agiles is lightyears ahead of the Turser as well. Now brand new, my Agiles cost $225 (2000) plus shipping and $399 (3100) plus shipping, and I don't feel that the 3100 is a better guitar than the 2000. They are both fantastic. Just my opinions and I hope I maybe helped someone the way the guys on this forum have been helping me for years.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Turser vs Agile

I still haven't had the pleasure of trying an Agile yet, but I've played a few Tursers and they are indeed "cheap"-feeling and sounding. I agree on the bad frets and the PRS copy I played had a neck that was badly warped and it was only a year old. I'd say at least try an Agile first before buying a Turser. I've read most reviews of Agiles saying they come pretty well set up and playing out-of-the-box. At least you start out with something usable, if you're going for something under the 3000 series. I've really been thinking of a AL-2000 Floyd as my first one, mainly because it uses a maple neck, which I think would be more stable over time, using a Floyd, than mahogany which the 3100 Floyd uses. Either way, I'd change pickups, so I figure I'll save myself the $200 for upgrades rather than buy the 3100 because it has nicer binding and a handful of other advantages.

Comment

good review! I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head, but I cant stop itching for an Agile.. Im a fan of good guitar for the money..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

good review! I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head, but I cant stop itching for an Agile.. Im a fan of good guitar for the money.. I wish Id have gotten one back when the prices were lower...
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

ill say that Tursers suck if you wont! lol
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've owned a couple of Agiles. Great guitars for the money. Don't hesitate to buy one. I have this one right now.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              ill say that Tursers suck if you wont! lol

If it wasn't so dang pretty...but yeah, it kinda sucks.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowv View Post
                I've owned a couple of Agiles. Great guitars for the money. Don't hesitate to buy one. I have this one right now.

That is one solid looking axe. Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  good review! I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head, but I cant stop itching for an Agile.. Im a fan of good guitar for the money.. I wish Id have gotten one back when the prices were lower...
                  There was a black AL-2000 with gold hardware (same as my Gibson) for $125 in NYC on Craigslist. I had the money, but I just didn't feel like dealing with the NY traffic, looking for a place to park etc. The guitar would have wound up costing me $225 after the gas, tolls, parking etc. It was gone in a day.

Comment

sex

Comment

The two Turser's that I own are quite the opposite of what you describe. They're both hollowbodies, one full size like an ES-175 and the other thin like an ES-335. After replacing the pups, nuts and a complete wiring/pot overhaul these guitars sound great and play fine. They're both fully bound; neck, headstock and body so no sharp fret edges.

I would agree that the Agile is still a better guitar, period. When I unload the 175 style Turser, I'll probably get an Agile hollow.

Comment

I have read on internet forums that Agiles are great guitars.
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by sbecker67 View Post
                          The two Turser's that I own are quite the opposite of what you describe. They're both hollowbodies, one full size like an ES-175 and the other thin like an ES-335. After replacing the pups, nuts and a complete wiring/pot overhaul these guitars sound great and play fine. They're both fully bound; neck, headstock and body so no sharp fret edges.

I would agree that the Agile is still a better guitar, period. When I unload the 175 style Turser, I'll probably get an Agile hollow.
                          I almost bought a Cleopatra before this one, but the guy promised it to me, then sold it. It had been gone over by a tech and everything already.

Comment

I have sooooo came close to buying the Hondo version of that a couple of times...

And I have also played a nice Turser Semi-hollow.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

any negative experiences with turser hollows?

Comment

Working...
                              X