Guitar as Carry-On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar as Carry-On

Has anyone carried on an electric guitar in a gig bag when traveling and where did you place it? Gonna be moving overseas and need to take my electric with me. I've flown lots of times with my big tennis bag, 5 rackets inside etc which is more of less the same size as a gig bag so it'll be accepted but where did you guys place it once on the plane? I'm not too confident in placing it in the overhead luggage, are there any other options? I have a pretty good case, its thin and not bad protection for its size. Its the Gator Slinger.

Re: Guitar as Carry-On

Ive done multiple international flights. I did fit it in the overheads once in a hard case. Though really made people unhappy having to try and wedge their luggage on top of it. You can ask them to put it in the coat closet and sometimes they will. But the best option I found is to gate check it. Thats where you drop something off just before you board. Its for things like wheel chairs and strollers. Theres a seperate cargo area these things go to and the crew loads them in there by hand. Then when you get off the plane just tell the attentant you have something in gate check and they get it for you or sometimes they will already pull it out and have it waiting for you off to the side as you exit the plane. Though ill make one caveat ive always flown Delta so im not 100% positive about other airlines policies and procedures might wanna call and ask and get confirmation on how they handle it. International flights tend to be more accomodating than domestic.

BTW where are you moving to?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I've been through quite a few airports over the years. A guitar as carry-on has been done before, but mainly in a gig bag. You'd want to pad it a bit more but its better than the 'united breaks guitars' cargo hold route.

As an aside, I travel with a mountainbike quite often. Even in padded cases/boxes they get damaged all too often.

Comment

i've flown internationally a few times with a couple of guitars, they told me i had to check them with the rest of my luggage and wouldn't let me take them on as carry on. it looked like they took care of them, one was in a gig bag and it survived so
        our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
        'Cause all the girls are sluts,
        And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Working...
        X