Mesa Rectoverb comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Rectoverb comments?

Hey guys, starting to weed out some of the amps on my massive list of stuff to test and play, and the Rectoverb is one that I'm highly interested in. Since it's a top contender I want to get nitpicky with it, so I'm looking for some input about it both good AND bad. I'd like honest opinions if possible, not just "it's Mesa so it's teh suxors!"
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Mesa Rectoverb comments?

Love mine. The compressed distortion it provides is so addicting. One of the downfalls about Mesa's is that they are so highpriced. You could get more wattage for the money by going the Marshall route. For example a Mesa Rectoverb 50 watt will run you about $1200-$1300 bucks brand new and you can get a Marshall DSL 100 watter for about 1200-1300 brand new as well. For about the same price you can get 50 more watts if you go the Marshall route. I just find that Marshalls are alot better of a value than Mesa's are. That's just my opinion though.
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 11-17-2004, 08:31 PM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503
      Love mine. The compressed distortion it provides is so addicting. One of the downfalls about Mesa's is that they are so highpriced.
      This is why you don't buy new mesa/boogies'.

Comment

Exactly, I won't be buying new. And 50 watts will be MORE than enough. What about the Nomad series, similar tones??

Comment

hmm i dont know but to me it seems marshall is rather overpriced.
          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

not in a bad way but they seem more pricier than boogies.
            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Ya, its definately advantageous to buy used Boogies, but if you are like me you would prefer not to buy something preowned. I personally don't like buying preowned stuff, because you just don't know if its been taken care of. For instance theres musicians that have no problem leaving their amps and gear in a humid car, but me on the other hand, I would never put my gear in that position. It's just not worth the risk of warping your gear. Thats just asking for your gear to get warped and messed up. Again if you buy used you don't know how the stuff was treated by the other owner or owners. It kinda bugs me.....
              Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 11-17-2004, 08:42 PM.
              Roland Cube 60
              Mogami Cables
              Mooer Candy Toppers
              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.

Comment

A guy in a local Sak (edit: I dunno what a Sak band is, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to, haha. Should read SKA) band gets a cool clean sound out of his. The dirty sound is pretty 'recto' , which isn't really my thing, but is cool for what it is.

Good thing about boogie gear is they are really well built. My Blue Angel was rock solid over almost three years of constant use.
                Last edited by Hot _Grits; 11-17-2004, 08:42 PM.
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

What amp did the Ska guy use? Recto or Nomad? I also notice your sig. mentions a recto 2x12, is that the Blue Angel you speak of?

Comment

Nomads are pretty good but I have had much better experiences with Rectifers. The Rectifier tone is just more satisfying to my ears.
                    Roland Cube 60
                    Mogami Cables
                    Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

Cool. Your sig mentions a single rectifier, that's pretty much the rectoverb sans reverb right? How would you rate it's versatility?

Sorry for all the questions, I probably won't get to a Mesa dealer (or any others for that matter) for a month or so..

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503
                        For example a Mesa Rectoverb 50 watt will run you about $1200-$1300 bucks brand new and you can get a Marshall DSL 100 watter for about 1200-1300 brand new as well.
                        I was unaware that wattage was more important than tone?

Maybe I should sell my Recto and get a 300w Randall.....
                        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Fret,

I would just say go into your local music store and plug into all the different mesa amp models you want and find out which sounds better to your ears. Everyone has a different opinion. You may find that you like the Nomad's better. All of us can give you all the pros and cons you want but what it really comes down to is what sounds good to you. Whether it be the Nomad Series or Rectifier Series. I think its time you visit your local music store and put some Mesa's to the test.
                          Roland Cube 60
                          Mogami Cables
                          Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                            I was unaware that wattage was more important than tone?

Maybe I should sell my Recto and get a 300w Randall.....
                            Believe it or not, I just talked to a guy a while back and wattage was more important to him than tone. At first he said he wanted a Triple Rectifier but than he said he'd settle for anything with high wattage, whether it be a Fender, etc.
                            Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 11-17-2004, 08:55 PM.
                            Roland Cube 60
                            Mogami Cables
                            Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

I agree, unfortunately the nearest one is 250+ miles away... all I can do is live vicariously until I can make a trip haha. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X