string thru TOM bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string thru TOM bridge

how do you determine where to put the string thru holes for a TOM bridge? all the ones i've seen are in a funky pattern and never straight like a hardtail bridge. is there a reason for this?

heres an example

edit S**t sorry didn't realise how big the pic was!
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Re: string thru TOM bridge

Some people believe that having the strings break across the actual body of the bridge increases resonance, tone, or sustain (or all 3, depending on the believer). Hence, most string-through setups are set up this way.

The actual pattern of the holes is not that important - straight, angled, mixed, etc.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

These are straight.

"Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        Some people believe that having the strings break across the actual body of the bridge increases resonance, tone, or sustain (or all 3, depending on the believer).
        I didn't know that. IIRC I thought that some people thought just the opposite, that if the string broke across the body of the bridge that they lost resonance and tone. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

I am not being argumentative. I'm just saying I thought differently, I could very well be wrong. IDK
        "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

I don't think the pattern of holes really matters. I mean, look at a Flying V. They're pretty unlike any other guitar...

I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I don't think it really matters what kind of pattern the holes are in. The important part of it is having them at the right distance from the bridge so the angle doesn't cause the string to lay on the back of the bridge. If that happens, it will muffle the strings out.
            Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Working...
            X