Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about TBX Tone Control vs Delta Tone

Hey everyone,

I have a project that I am working on and was wondering if I could gain some perspective from some of you. I tried searching the forums on this and looked it up on the net but could not find something that was what I was looking for.

I have a Jeff Beck Fender Strat Artist Series (newer one). I play in a country, rock, and blues band and what I have been finding is that the Jeff Beck is an amazing guitar....on the Neck and Middle pickup but the bridge is useless to me - its too bright. So I thought I could change the bridge pickup to a humbucker to better play rock with.

Here is my idea: I bought a full sized humbucker (SD Custom Custom) for it (which it is already routed for). The problem I am facing is that I LOVE the sound of the Neck pick-up and do not want to change my volume pots from 250K to 500K and compromise this sound but am afraid that the Custom Custom, known for being muddy with 250K pots, will be too muddy.

My Options:
    1. TBX Tone Control Pots by Fender: would help by cutting some of the highs.
    2. Delta Tone Pots: Adds treble by taking the tone control right out of the circuit. How much does it take out? Would it be noticeable with the CC (it is a high gain pick-up?

All that to ask which option, in your opinion and experience, with the guitar I have, would be the best option to ensure control of the muddiness? Or are there better options out there?

Thanx for you time and responses
    Last edited by joelespaul; 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM.
    "You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other."
    - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Re: Question about TBX Tone Control vs Delta Tone

Welcome to the forum!

The tbx's ability to cut highs (which is featured on half the range of the pot) is just like a normal 250K pot. the detent is "no load", and the rest of the range on the pot cuts bass and not treble. If you don't need any bass cut, the tbx won't help much. I don't think and bass needs to be cut with the CC. That thing's a lil low on bass to begin with.

The Delta tone control can be tested easily! Just disconnect the tone you already have from the switch. You'll hear a noticeable but not insane amount of treble and definition finally come through.

You have two tone controls right? Wire one to the neck and middle, wire the other one to just the bridge pickup. change that one to a 500K.

Or, go old school strat. Tone control one on the neck and tone 2 on the middle, with none on the bridge. Very easy and would probably sound awesome.

Fender does this on some of their new instruments, the use 500Ks all around. Then on the switch lugs where the neck and middle pickups' tone control is wired, solder a resistor from that lug on the switch to the back of a tone pot. A 500K resistor in parallel would make the pickups "see" 250K from a 500K tone pot. Wire the 2nd tone to the bridge pickup lug. Fender uses 270K resistors on some teles with neck humbuckers, and they seem to get a good balance somehow.

Personally, the CC is loud and thick enough in series that it makes a great parallel humbucker. I've used the CC in parallel before and it's a good match for vintage single coils, IMO. It's kind of like the middle positions on a strat, but not nearly as "hollow" sounding or as bright. That way you could leave the pots as they are.

Also, a C5 matches better with 250K pots. You could through an A5 magnet in the CC. Or get in the forum and trade the pickup for a JB. Many people argue that the JB was made to go with 250K pots.

So, yeah. Quite a few options, depending on what you really wanna do.
    Last edited by FuseG4; 02-28-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Wow, thanx a lot for the input!

A couple questions though
      1. Wouldn't the 500K tone pot act as a 250k pot since the 250k volume pot sets the treble response?
      2. What about the option of a CTS Stacked Dual Concentric Audio Pot 250K+500K and I can wire the 500k portion of the volume pot up to the CC and the 250k portion of the volume pot to the mid and neck single coils?

Thanks a lot.
      "You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other."
      - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Comment

Originally posted by joelespaul View Post
        Wow, thanx a lot for the input!

A couple questions though
        1. Wouldn't the 500K tone pot act as a 250k pot since the 250k volume pot sets the treble response?
        2. What about the option of a CTS Stacked Dual Concentric Audio Pot 250K+500K and I can wire the 500k portion of the volume pot up to the CC and the 250k portion of the volume pot to the mid and neck single coils?

Thanks a lot.
        Someone else will have to field these questions. You may be right on the first one, when I think about it.
        Also, I've never used a dual concentric pot that way. Someone here will know the answer though.

Comment

Thanks again
          - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Comment

Working...
          X