Nagd!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagd!

Sorry in advance for the book-length story!

So I just started playing with a new group of guys who like to do more modern stuff (Alter Bridge, Chevelle, Saving Benjamin, etc) than I've been doing, as well as their own similar-veined originals. They needed a lead player and I wanted to do something different. Plus, they all seem like great guys!

Anyways... they're still looking for a drummer right now (old one was an arse), so they want to do an unplugged deal until we find one. They've done some unplugged gigs before and really enjoyed them (so did the crowd according to them). So I find myself needing to do something in the acoustic guitar department. I have two very nice dreadnaught acoustics with piezzo under-saddle pickups (Yairi DY-75 and an old Takamine Martin-copy with Brazillian rosewood back and sides), but no controls at all. Between that, and the fact that they're so darn BIG, I found myself wantin to try to get something smaller, plus something with full electronics and a cutaway.

So I walk into my friend's music store yesterday and play a bunch of guitars. My favorites were a Breedlove (with the soundhole in the top/side), an Ibanez Vai acoustic, and this Washburn WB 200. The Washburn is discontinued, so they wanted $499 for it -- was originally $599. Came with OHSC. It was cheaper than the other two, and it was a very small, handy, "quirky" little thing that instantly caught my attention. I used to be all about BIG sounding acoustics like dreadnaughts. But lately I've got more into smaller instruments that are comfortable to play and sound great through a PA or acoustic amp. Anyways... I was putting the guitar back on the wall hanger and noticed a pretty long crack in the soundboard -- running from the rear of the sound hole towards the bridge. I mentioned it to my friend and told him to let me know what he was going to do with it because I might still be interested (for a discount of course). The guitar is totally playable and sounds fine. I can fix that crack easily enough or get it fixed if I want to do it right. So I walk in today and he says that he's sending it back for credit. The other owner is standing there and asks him what they have into this guitar, he says $200. They got it on a big discount because it was discontinued. So I tell the guys that I'll give them $350 for it right now (with case of course). They took it. I went home very happy. Plugged it into the LR Baggs DI box that I'm trying out, then into my small PA. VERY NICE! The guitar has both 1/4" and XLR outs. So I ran it straight into the board with XLR cable and it was awesome sounding there too. And VERY playable and comfortable. Found myself banging away playing and singing some Hootie stuff ("Time") before I had to run back to work.

VERY happy with this little guitar. I may just have to keep my eyes opened for other Washburn guitars as a result of this (it's my first).

Last edited by Red_Label; 03-03-2011, 02:37 PM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: Nagd!

Wow, I really really dig the body shape. You got it at a steal too. Congrats good sir, NAG days kick ass.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

congrats!! Washburns are kinda like a well kept secret.. They make great guitars, but people dont buy them cuz of the name, they discontinue models and then sell cheap and I guess people then think they are poo. I dunno, but I have some amazing washburns that I got very reasonable.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
        Wow, I really really dig the body shape. You got it at a steal too. Congrats good sir, NAG days kick ass.
        Thanks man. Me too. They really almost seem like a kid's guitar when you first see one. I had to ask if it was a smaller-scale. Truly is a pleasure to play.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          congrats!! Washburns are kinda like a well kept secret.. They make great guitars, but people dont buy them cuz of the name, they discontinue models and then sell cheap and I guess people then think they are poo. I dunno, but I have some amazing washburns that I got very reasonable.
          Yeah, I generally avoid Washburns -- but I dunno why. They're usually good-looking guitars. I will definitely try more. In fact, there's a higher-end model of this out there with block inlays and such that I've just emailed a store in AZ about. They offer lay-aways -- so if they've still got one, I may just lay it away and eventually have two! Two is ALWAYS better than one!

Comment

Working...
          X