No announcement yet.

GAS! Epiphone upped their game I guess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GAS! Epiphone upped their game I guess?

wow. It may as well be a Gibson with poly on it and some metric measurements... it played great... and there's NO love for it. Well, at least I'm not gassing so hard now... but it's still the best made in china guitar I've played by far.

Comment

how many pieces of wood was the neck made out of?

was the back grain a veneer, too?

anyway they stopped making REAL Les Pauls in 1960. Everything else is just a cheap-ass wannabe fake.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        how many pieces of wood was the neck made out of?

was the back grain a veneer, too?

anyway they stopped making REAL Les Pauls in 1960. Everything else is just a cheap-ass wannabe fake.
        I'm pretty sure the back was not a veneer, I couldn't see any lines indicating one.

Forgot to look and see if the neck was a 1 or a 3 piece. 3 piece wouldn't surprise me. It does have a long neck-tenon.

Comment

yeah but was it made before the year 1961?

if not then you wasted your time
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            yeah but was it made before the year 1961?

if not then you wasted your time
            yeah all the ones after 61 have their headstocks break spontaneously. Especially the ones that look like SGs but especially the ones that look like les pauls.

Comment

I'm not against import guitars at all, but there comes a time when you need to stop mucking about with the cheaper 'versions' and save up to get an original. Partly to have something that will be a great guitar for many years (and age well), but also to be able to play the imports side by side with and see how well they really stack up.

I have two really nice US made guitars, and they are the ones I'll usually use as reference tones for new pedals or amps. Both of them accompanied me into the shop to demo the new Tweaker.

Comment

Epi Slash Sig is pretty nice too
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  wow. It may as well be a Gibson with poly on it and some metric measurements... it played great... and there's NO love for it. Well, at least I'm not gassing so hard now... but it's still the best made in china guitar I've played by far.
                  Sorry if it seemed like I pood on your thread, I didn't mean to. I think if you like it and it speaks to you, go for it, that's awesome. I have nothing against imports, I own several. I was just stating the conclusion I've come to. Mind you I've purchased two very nice imports in the last two months and in hindsight I wish I would have waited, saved a little and bought something of higher quality. A lot of people tried to tell me this but it is a decision that each of us as individuals need to come to on our. I didn't have this opinion three weeks ago.

Bottom line, if you like it thats great, you should go for it.
                  "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

You should give the STudio Dleuxe another try. I really dig mine. The nice thing about it is it's weight relieved (the 9 hole swiss cheese) like the Trads and not chambered like the other studios.
                    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                      You should give the STudio Dleuxe another try. I really dig mine. The nice thing about it is it's weight relieved (the 9 hole swiss cheese) like the Trads and not chambered like the other studios.
                      after playing that one I realized that it was the guitar you had. I quite liked the studio deluxe. While it doesn't have the best cosmetics, it's certainly a player's instrument. After all, I decided to skip the cosmetics on the SG I got. It may be what I go for. Just $1,100 after the sale of my agile. Tis tempting!

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                        ... There's some better stuff out there.....

There always will be too. Save and scrimp for an LP Trad and you'll be wanting a Custom next. Get the Custom and the Historic Reissues will not be too far off on the horizon calling your name.

A "better" guitar won't make you play better.

Comment

Originally posted by sbecker67 View Post
                          There always will be too. Save and scrimp for an LP Trad and you'll be wanting a Custom next. Get the Custom and the Historic Reissues will not be too far off on the horizon calling your name.

Man, this is so true. I've sworn off most cheaper guitars now (aside from projects), but you are right that there is always something better. In all spects of life.
                          -=The Dali
                          --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

You should try out the 60s tribute. Same neck as the Deluxe. Chambered though.
                            Mesa Stiletto Ace
                            Gurus 5015
                            Mesa Widebody 1X12
                            Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by sbecker67 View Post

Damn straight. But, I dunno, somehow having "the right one" isn't the same as having the best one they make, right?

Like, my MIM tele's given me a whole year's worth of satisfaction without me gassing for a different one. Sure I've played some better ones in that time, but it's not bothering me.

I think a large part of what i want in a Les Paul is in the neck. Right now I have a 13.7" radius wide-profile neck with ebony. Both the 50's and 60's gibson shapes seem like they fit me much better for chording. I think I might find ebony kind of bright, and the frets on my agile could use some work compared to the Gibsons and even the Epiphone I played.

Oh and I used to hate heritage cherry sunburst. "OMG everyone has one it's sooo played out" kinda attitude. Now I think I get the idea and I now suddenly find a good HCSB to be absolutely gorgeous.

I don't need the best thing I can afford, but I'd like to get closer to a more traditional by-the-book set of Les Paul features.

I played some p90s for the first time in my life a few months ago, but I think I really am a humbucker man. Otherwise I'd probably have to do whatever I could to jump on the Studio 60's tribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                                This.... a $2,000 guitar played every day for 20 years = about 27 cents per day. Most well made guitars also last more then 20 years too...
                                I can think of few things as depressing as playing the same guitar every day for a year, let alone 20 years. I rotate thru mine all the time, and select them depending on the mood I'm in. Maybe I have a limited attention span.
                                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                                X