Action too low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action too low?

I just picked my guitar, MIM Fat Strat, up from the shop. I had the saddles and trem block replaced and the guitar set up with .10's, 5 springs and bridge screwed down. I had a bone nut put on years ago and had the action on the E and A strings raised because it buzzed and the action on the rest of the strings was somewhat high, but nothing too crazy.

I plugged in and fiddled around with it at the shop, but I guess I didnt spend enough time with it. Now that I've gotten it home and played for about 45 minutes, I think the action might have been set too low. Seems to have less sustain and notes, especially higher ones, sound well clunky. I'm sure my ears need to adjust to the new trem block, saddles, and strings. I mean its significantly brighter then with the stock block and saddles.

I'm wondering if taking it back in and having them raise the action will remedy some or all of this? I think I might actually prefer a relatively higher action anyway. I have never been totally happy with my low E past about the 8 fret. It always seemed to be somewhat clunky and now that seems to be more prominant.

Re: Action too low?

are you getting alot of buzz and fret outs/dead notes? is it all over the neck or in certain spots?
    Beer me!
    Originally posted by Kam
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Most of the buzz I'm getting seems to be the Low E and A when fretted. I could live with the buzzing to be honest since its nothing extreme, but its the clunkiness that I'm really not happy with. I'm not sure if the notes are completely fretting out, but the further up the neck I go the wose it gets. If I play the main riff from Seek and destroy, the palm muted notes, aside for maybe the open A, totally dud out when I play them. I'm only a bedroom player and everything I know is self taught so I apologize in advance if I'm not clear enough or can't explain my situation very well.

Comment

What saddles did you have put on it? I've heard that the Graphtech saddles can cause that clunkiness in some guitars.
        "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Both the saddles and new trem block were Callaham. The mexican standard upgrade kit.

Comment

Originally posted by thrashmonkey View Post
            Both the saddles and new trem block were Callaham. The mexican standard upgrade kit.
            Callaham is high grade stuff. I doubt it's your problem. Take it back to your tech and tell him what your not liking, talk to him, I bet you can get it worked out.
            "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

It's up to you if it's too low. That's why I don't take my guitar to techs unless it's some kind of repair I am incapable of. It just doesn't make sense to me to let someone make your guitar play and feel the way they like it or the way it's "supposed" to be. Have you ever tried to do any those things on your own? There's really nothing you can to do a strat that is irrevocable, except for maybe to the neck. It took me years and TONS of trial and error until I've figured out how to set up my strats the way I like them. I still tinker with them a lot, but it's fun. That's kinda how they were designed, for every playable aspect to be adjustable to the player's needs.
              Gear:
              Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
              Epi Dot Natural
              Partscaster blackie
              Breedlove Passport Mahogany
              VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
              Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
                Callaham is high grade stuff. I doubt it's your problem. Take it back to your tech and tell him what your not liking, talk to him, I bet you can get it worked out.
                I'm going to call them after work and arrange to come back in. I guess this was the obvious answer in the first place, but I guess I was just wondering if the new block and saddles changed the tone of the guitar so much that its that I'm not used too? or is it a set up issue. The loss of sustain and the notes sounding plucky or clunky make me think its the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
                  It's up to you if it's too low. That's why I don't take my guitar to techs unless it's some kind of repair I am incapable of. It just doesn't make sense to me to let someone make your guitar play and feel the way they like it or the way it's "supposed" to be. Have you ever tried to do any those things on your own? There's really nothing you can to do a strat that is irrevocable, except for maybe to the neck. It took me years and TONS of trial and error until I've figured out how to set up my strats the way I like them. I still tinker with them a lot, but it's fun. That's kinda how they were designed, for every playable aspect to be adjustable to the player's needs.
                  Yeah I'm starting to see how much of a benefit it would be for me to learn to do a basic setup, but I'd need some time and practice. In the meantime I just need to be able to communicate what I want to someone who is capable. Sometimes I second guess myself and have no one really to get any feedback from. Could you possibly recommend a good "How to" DVD on setting up a guitar?

Comment

i learned all the basics from this dvd. it's not hard to do your own set up, i'm actually surprised more people don't.

Comment

It's all on youtube. There are tons of different vids for every possible setup function. Also, fender's homepage has all the know how.

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.
                      Gear:
                      Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                      Epi Dot Natural
                      Partscaster blackie
                      Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                      VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                      Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to pickup a tool kit with basic things I'd need to set up my guitar. I'm taking the guitar back in and I'm going to have them raise the action in the meantime.

I have to say I think the Callaham block/saddles might not be might cup of tea. My stock saddles where pretty corroded so I figured I'd replace them when the guitar got setup and opted to change the block also because I had the money and had read so many good things about them, but I'm afraid that it made the guitar much, much brighter than I imagined it would. It doesnt seem like something I can fix with an EQ either. I think I'll get it playing nicely and then play it awhile before I decide if its something I want to change.

Comment

Its likely you're hearing the guitar properly now. The callaham bridge is likely to round the tone and make it more balanced. If the pups/wood are thin then this is what you you will discover with better hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
                            What saddles did you have put on it? I've heard that the Graphtech saddles can cause that clunkiness in some guitars.
                            That is because if you compare Gibson, and Epiphone stock saddles, they are twice as tall as Graph-Tech saddles are.

EDIT: ...And this info is useless as you have a stratocaster. Go me!
                            Last edited by icantbuyafender; 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM. Reason: Im sofa king we todd did
                            Originally posted by Jay 77
                            Other than hearing incredibly shaky, sucky playing it sounds like #2 is the Gibson and #1 sounds like it's a steaming #2.

Comment

Went back and had the action raised and it sounds great now. I shouldn't have rushed to judgement on the new hardware before I had it playing the way I wanted. Although it is brighter, it is also clearer which is making the stock pickups sound a lot better than before. Thanks, I have been reading post on this forum for a few years now and Its been an awesome source of info. Now I can get back to the most important thing, playing the damn guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X