Am Fender '57 Strat re-issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am Fender '57 Strat re-issue

What do people think of these?? I can see from the fender website that they are $$$.

Nice wood selection???
    Are the pups ok, or not?

I'm looking for a keeper strat here, and a cheap LH one is on the bay so I'm wondering if its worth the $. It will have to hold its own with an '96 USA G&L S500

I like the completely classic vibe of these, and I also like the original trem design too.

Re: Am Fender '57 Strat re-issue

LH?

I didn't know Lufthansa made Strats.

Comment

My stab at the question...

Havent played one for many years (this was before the '98 revision) - Elected not to buy one comparing to other models.

The pickups are nice, on the low output side. Might be just the ticket for the particular instrument. I recall my set of RI pickups are 5.6K. Neck is thin which is the turnoff for me. You might like that though.

I think its a good basic Strat from what I remember. How good it is will depend on the individual instrument. I'd much rather have an EJ, but those are going to be hard to find left handed, I'd assume. YMMV.

If you're looking for a keeper, then you need to actually play it before buying. Even then I've bought a Strat, thinking its run of the mill and after a setup and new strings it improves immensely.

Not sure about how much you're willing ot spend but I'm thinking I'd call someone like Daves or Music Zoo (don't know where your'e located) and they might be able to select one for you. Its gonna cost, but I'd give extra for one for that kind of service.

Comment

I'll say this, THE BEST SOUNDING Strat I ever played, was a real 1957 Strat my uncle owned. So woody and warm compared to later versions. All 5 springs, high-action and the round fretboard. It just sounded and felt great... the whole thing vibrated like nothing I've played before---very resonant. I never heard anything quite as nice since, regardless of price. If Fender can make a re-issue like the one I played (though I don't care for the 7.25" board), I'd say buy it!

Comment

IFLHO, you should try one of the Japanese reissues. You can get a "Crafted in Japan" one on Ebay or maybe try guitargai.com.

Depending on what you want, you might want or need to upgrade the electronics but IFLHO the US reissues are not as nice as the Japanese ones.

YMMV., etc.

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I suppose I'd better clarify.....'what do people think of the model in general'

I have several problems with high-end guitars and the ability to try them out:

1. I'm left handed (obviously)
            2. I'm in Australia
            3. the first two combined make it even harder to find even 1 shop that will have even one top-end LH Fender in stock, let alone several to try. 99% of the time you would have to specially order one in, which might well be from the US and not be in stock even with Fender Australia. Hence the chance of getting a less resonant guitar is equal to the 'bay
            4. Prices here are about 3-4 times what I'll pay on ebay.
            5. Given the above reason, there will be a ready market for such a Guitar even if its a 'dud'.

All of these combined make it much less of a gamble to go for an ebay guitar.

Comment

The AVRI series guitars are well made and pretty spot on production models to the original specs of the era. I can't speak to the 57RI Strat specifically, but my good friend (who is also a lefty) has an AV52RI Tele and he loves it. I've picked it up, and although I can't play it (due to it being a LH model) it appears very well made, and sounds fantastic. They tend to hold their used value well. If Strats are your thing, I don't think you can go wrong on this one.
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

7.5" V shape nitro neck with vintage frets? Oh man I played the MIM classic '50s guitars that had basically the same specs (not nitro, gloss poly tho) and I loved it for all types of chording. Its not for doing crazy bends but I could still get a whole step in most cases, or so I remember.

I used the 57/62 pickup set in a strat I sold a while back and I really loved the pickups. Quite vintage, but a lil brighter and snappier than SSL-1s. I wired the tone control to the bridge and left the middle with no tone, and really liked all 5 positions that way.

They come in surf green.

So, IMO, you gotta make sure you can be comfortable with 7.25" radius and vintage frets. Some people HATE that combination. If you can get along with those things, I'm sure you'll dig that strat.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. I'll see if I can nab the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                    2. I'm in Australia
                    Doesn't the combination of those mean if you play a right-handed Strat upside-down everything is normal?

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. I'll see if I can nab the guitar.
                      Not sure if this is of any help. If the Fender comes with 57 / 62 pickups be prepared for a major difference in output level from an S500. I have a couple of S500s and a 60th Anniversary Strat that uses the 57 /62 pickups. Compared to even the stock pickups in a '90s Am Std strat they are very low output pickups. The clean tones are good but to get a decent overdrive / distortion sound I need to use an RC Booster to increase the level to the pedal / amp.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        Doesn't the combination of those mean if you play a right-handed Strat upside-down everything is normal?
                        Yep, and upside down, standing on my head too. Makes for quite the spectacle

Comment

2. I'm in Australia
                          3. the first two combined make it even harder to find even 1 shop that will have even one top-end LH Fender in stock, let alone several to try. 99% of the time you would have to specially order one in, which might well be from the US and not be in stock even with Fender Australia. Hence the chance of getting a less resonant guitar is equal to the 'bay
                          4. Prices here are about 3-4 times what I'll pay on ebay.
                          5. Given the above reason, there will be a ready market for such a Guitar even if its a 'dud'.

All of these combined make it much less of a gamble to go for an ebay guitar.
                          being a lefty, also i feel your pain, its not much better in the USA...

our timing is bad, but lefty fenders in general seem to be more common in japan. so that would be worth looking into. here you have to know someone who has a friend/relative in japan.

mike

Comment

If I was a lefty in a country that has low supply of guitars I would go partscaster.

Neck and body separately until you find what you like. Lefty hardware should be easy to choose if you already know you like vintage strat. Just get a callaham or gotoh or whatever set.

You can, maybe temporarily, use a righty neck as a reverse headstock piece.

Comment

Yeah, I've done that with 2 guitars already. Its great if you don't mind the extra hassle of finding and assembling parts, and the small issues if the two fender shaped parts actually don't mate the way they are supposed to. My partscaster tele is like that. The bridge saddles for correct intonation sit so the strings go back toward the pickups a fraction to enter the thu body holes.

I like the idea of having a 'proper' model that I don't have to mess with this time (although your suggestion has merit normally). Also if I'm ever broke and need to part with guitars then there is a resale value.

Comment

Working...
                              X