Monterey guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monterey guitars

Anyone here know about them? I can't find anything on the web about them.

I just picked up a LesPaul style one with a set neck and flame top(probably photo flame) from a guy.
    with a little Marshall SS amp, levy strap and an old Guild case for $80.
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Re: Monterey guitars

Did it look anything like this?

Shop the best selection of popular guitars: ✅ guaranteed low price, ✅ free shipping, ✅ 0% financing, ✅ 8% back in rewards.

Comment

No. It's not a Fernandes. Where it would say Gibson or Epiphone on the headstock it says Monterey, where it would say Les Paul it says "Stage Series" in the same style of scrpit.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is that they come from New Zealand.
      " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

If it plays well then $80 is a goddamn steal. Hell, flip the amp for half that and you're halfway to a nice new set of Duncans for it.

Congrats, man.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I just came from a friend of mine's house. He used to own a guitar shop. (He's where I usually get my Duncans from) He knew what it was as soon as I took it out of the case.

He said it was made by Samick back in the late 90's. If you guys remember when Musicians Friend was selling a line of guitars called "Rogue", then that's what this is.
          I scraped the shielding and paint away inside the control cavity, it appears to be made from alder. The flame top is definately photo.

I've got a '59neck and a Seth bridge that I'm gonna drop in there this weekend. Also better pots and switch.

I'll try to post some pics later.
          Last edited by bluesbend; 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Here's some pic's of my $80 geetar and SS amp.

Last edited by bluesbend; 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I played it for most part of yesterday afternoon and evening. I haven't changed anything out on it yet. The pickups are a real surprise, nice and clear and articulate. The neck was giving me some really nice jazz tones and the bridge has a nice crunch when wide open on a clean setting.
              The distorted sound was equally as good. I was jamming some Z.Z. Top, Aerosmith, Mule and a bunch of blues.

I'm a happy guy about this sleeper of a guitar.

Comment

Good score!

Comment

Sexy.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Working...
                  X