12 string acoustic to replace my 6 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 string acoustic to replace my 6 string

I was at the local guitar store looking for a replacement for my POS 6 string acoustic and I came across an ibanez 12 string acoustic. Before I found that I was playing some Taylors and Martins and the ibanez was almost the same quality but it wasn't $2000-3000 it was 199. My current 6 string acoustic is by far the hardest guitar I've played and I can't play half of the frets but the 12 string played like heaven. I was playing leads pretty well for never playing a 12 string before. I was wondering does anyone play a 12 string as their main acoustic or play a lot of leads on one and how they like it?
    Last edited by Mike24121; 03-12-2011, 02:05 AM.

Re: 12 string acoustic to replace my 6 string

I currently play a 12 string exclusively in my band. I have a few decent 6 strings, but the 12 I got for a steal used, and it's just a great guitar.

With that said, if I had to do it all again, and re-spend the money, I would get a good 6 string first. The 12 is really cool, because I use it for celtic rock, and it gives me that really high range almost mandolin like chime I want, but for leads and just plain old rock, I really, really miss the 6 string, and none of mine have an input for live shows. Therefore, if you were in town, you would see me searching the stores, trying to find what kind of 6 string to score in the summer.

In summary, a 12 string is a great thing to have in your arsenal, IF you have a good 6 string that is the mainstay of your stable.*

*This is a generalization, as nothing is absolute in the world of music, but it is what I have found as a gigging musician.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Buy a Guild 12 string. There is nothing better.

Now Guilds are made in a few different qualities. The American made Guilds are expensive, but they sound like a cannon. They have double acting truss rods to counteract the excessive tension on the neck and they are made from solid woods. (about $2000)

The Chinese made Guilds are a lot more affordable. At about $800.00 they area good alternative to the American made models.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I'd also recommend Takamine if you are looking at something important, but still quite nice.
        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

I bought a 12 string today and I love it. I can't play leads as well as on my 6 strings but anything 14-15th fret up is close.

Comment

As Phil says, I'd get a decent 6 string first. I almost bought a twelve string when I got a new acoustic, but I know I would have regretted it.
            twelves are great, but limited.
            It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

Originally posted by Mike24121 View Post
              I bought a 12 string today and I love it. I can't play leads as well as on my 6 strings but anything 14-15th fret up is close.
              Congrats bro! What did you end up getting?

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
              As Phil says, I'd get a decent 6 string first. I almost bought a twelve string when I got a new acoustic, but I know I would have regretted it.
              twelves are great, but limited.
              Yeah. I mean, I've seen people pull it off. I'm doing it right now (for a short period of time). I just feel like sometimes, regardless of playability, the "fullness" of the sound is actually counter productive. Sometimes you just want that staple midrange acoustic punch with some high end definition, but not to much.

Comment

No Ibanez is as good as a Good Taylor / Martin. However, price performance ratio can be awesome.

I got the worlds cheapest Yamaha 12 string and left in a garage in Florida in a gig bag, for like two years. It held up perfect and nearly in tune.

12 is awesome. Don't know that I'd use one for my main acoustic. It's a particular sound. Great sound....just not for everything.

Yeah - what did you get?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

get a 12 string man! you can always string it up with only 6 strings if u get bored.
                  our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                  'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                  And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                    Congrats bro! What did you end up getting?
                    I got the Ibanez 12 string, it plays great but I need to put heavier strings on it. I love how after I play the 12 string when I play my les paul I feel like jesus playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike24121 View Post
                      I got the Ibanez 12 string, it plays great but I need to put heavier strings on it. I love how after I play the 12 string when I play my les paul I feel like jesus playing it.
                      I know exactly what you mean, except I feel like the devil when I pick up my LP.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                        i know exactly what you mean, except i feel like the devil when i pick up my lp.
                        lol

Comment

Working...
                        X