Acoustic string gauges/tunings - School me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic string gauges/tunings - School me

So, being a very big afficionado of hard rock, metal and the like, I have never really paid much attention to the finer points of acoustic guitar play and setup.

Obviously, I have noticed that acoustic string gauges are generally thicker than electric gauges.

What kinds of gauges are considered the norm for standard tuning? what about 1 step down?

Re: Acoustic string gauges/tunings - School me

11-49, 12-54, 13-56

Comment

Obviously a lot of it is personal preference. D'Addario "light" gauge is 10-46 for an electric and 12-53 for an acoustic. I use that for standard tuning or standard one half step down. Anything lower and I go with a heavier gauge.
      "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

I would not recommend putting anything lighter then 12's on an acoustic guitar. keep in mind you really don't bend much so you want warmth from the guitar not speed. you also want the strings up a little so they resonate better.

When I was first learning to play I put a set of electric guitar strings on my acoustic and it did serve a purpose. I did this so I could practice without waking everyone up.

Well in the long run it was a bad idea. the strings really had no tone & even though I did learn to play this way I would never recommend it.

Today I own a bunch of acoustics and I have all of them strung with D'Adarrio J17 (13 through 56). I have learned to play with a heavier string because I use a lot of altered tunings and I want the guitar to behave when I do drop the tuning down. A lighter string will get to floppy when you drop it down to "D"
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I only use Elixir strings, and their standard gauge for standard tuning (on a standard acoutsic guitar, of course) is 12-53.

Something with 12 that ends in something around 50
          There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
          Don't ask.

Comment

I use 13-56 strings tuned to E in my acoustic.

Mind you, the guitar better be well setup before you slap some heavy strings on it.
            Acoustics usually come with even worse nut jobs than electrics, and those thick strings,
            if the nut's too high, WILL NOT let you do barre chords without getting tendinitis.

I lowered the nut slots myself on my beater acoustic, it was one hell of a job and I didn't get it quite right at some spots, but it works.
            So let a pro do it instead.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Strings come in different guages. There are different tunings. Some guages of strings are better for different tunings.

Class dismissed.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
              X