multi-piece necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: multi-piece necks

I would say the importance of quartersawn wood has a more to do with stability than strength. Wood moves more in the tangential direction than radially, so the cut of the board from the log can have quite an impact here. Quartersawn is more stable.

Flatsawn wood stood on it's end (the way you would generally use it as a laminate in a multi-piece neck) becomes effectively quartersawn. So 4 or 5 pieces of flatsawn wood glued together make up a very stable and very strong neck. It's one of the reasons I prefer to stick to laminated necks.

Regarding tone, I think you can consider the primary wood as having the most impact and the thinner stringers to be of little consequence. I think you can also count on a laminated neck to be generally stiffer and snappier sounding as well compared to a one piece of the same species. Opinions may differ here, of course.
    STINNETT GUITARS

Comment

I'm very curious about the Agile neck-through LP guitars. Might be a nice balance of brightness with the big slab of mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBrad View Post
        Mayones guitars (polish custom shop that also makes production models) do up to 11 piece necks!

That's nothing, check out the lower-end Martin necks - "Stratabond"

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

ewwww . . .
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Actually, I had a chance to try one of those out. It sounded f*cking amazing. Well balanced, lovely, thick bottom, clean ringing highs.

What's more curious is why the hell that head is assymetrical?
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the info ! Keep posting if something hasn't been said yet
              There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
              Don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

The old Teisco, Kimberly, Harmony and such guitars had multi ply necks like that.

Last edited by bluesbend; 07-02-2011, 08:41 AM.
                " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Doesn't this get expensive after a while ?
                  There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
                  Don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash View Post
                    Doesn't this get expensive after a while ?

?
                    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Well, like 300-piece necks
                      Don't ask.

Comment

Actually, quite the opposite.
                        All things equal, it's cheaper to use many little pieces to make something like a neck.

MM
                        MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                        Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                          The old Teisco, Kimberly, Harmony and such guitars had multi ply necks like that.
                          [ATTACH]23703[/ATTACH]
                          That doesn't actually look multi-laminated to me. Weird.
                          Is there a better view?

MM
                          MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
                            That doesn't actually look multi-laminated to me. Weird.
                            Is there a better view?

MM

I'll see if I can figure out how to get my camera and computer to work together and take shot of my Teisco.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                              I'll see if I can figure out how to get my camera and computer to work together and take shot of my Teisco.
                              If it leads to Skynet, please don't.

Otherwise, thanks.

MM
                              MM

Comment

He'll be back

Comment

Working...
                                X