Great Bass, decent price...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Bass, decent price...

Ive been playing an Epiphone (yeah Epi) Thunderbird Pro IV Bass in trans black. The guitar is a neck thru with a 7 piece walnut/maple neck and mahog wings. The Gibson at twice the price has a 9 piece. Anyhow, unlike the Gibby, the Epi has active pups. A volume, Hi, low and mid boost and a beefier looking bridge. It plays great, has a big sound and something I noticed today when I actually saw it in sunlight today, I noticed alot of nice flame figuring in the maple on the back.. Just thought that was cool.. Ill try to get some pics, but they will only be cellphone shots.
    But if you are looking for a cool bass, check it out. One other thing, they used to have the top strap button on the top "horn" area and they had a problem with neck dive. The fix was to move the button to the base of the neck. Mine came with the button already there, so that was cool. BTW.. The regular EPI Tbird basses are only $299 and they are pretty fun players too. I played a bunch of those and almost went that route.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Great Bass, decent price...

I've been looking at basses myself. Those Epi Thunderbirds caught my eye, especially the Nikki Sixx Blackbird.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I've been looking at basses myself. Those Epi Thunderbirds caught my eye, especially the Nikki Sixx Blackbird.
      Yeah, those are cool! sound and play nice.. I just didnt like the limited controls.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Yeah, those are cool! sound and play nice.. I just didnt like the limited controls.
        Yeah, I'd probably have to put a volume knob in place of the on/off switch.

Comment

Not that his is a consideration, but I have a Peavey Patriot bass from the 80's that feels good and sounds better than almost anything I've played. Made in USA, 2-piece maple neck (more stable), maple body, nice rosewood board, good frets, graphite nut, thick steel bridge plate and the amazing Super Ferrite pickup. You can score them for less than $200 on eBay, if you can find them and deal with the slightly pointy look.

Look like this, but mine's bright red:

Comment

I used to have a Patriot bass. Mine was natural and had a maple fingerboard though. I agree, a really good bass. I sold it cheap as dirt some years back. It just sat not being used.

Comment

Thunderbirds are great basses, I haven't played the neck-thru Epi thunderbird, just the bolt-ons. I like Epiphones I own a Rivoli which is also a great bass. And I agree it is a great price!
              Last edited by Bass_Medic_05; 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM.
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

Check one out if you can Bassmedic! Hopefully you'll dig it.. Maybe, since Im a newbie (bass baby) you can tell me if it needs improved on. But it sustains great and feels good. I believe Im a pretty decent judge there. Plus, the bridge on this one is bigger and mounts flat to the body.. The Epi Tbird AND the Gibson, the bridge mounts on a coupla posts. (stopbar style) Id think youd want as much meat to the wood as possible..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                X