banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is there so much tension on some guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why is there so much tension on some guitars?

I know the truss rod doesn't really affect tension, but rather, adjusts tension in the neck.

Still, adjusting it should affect tension, since you are altering the length of the string.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Do the test with turning the guitar, while it makes a sound, on it's face. Then you know how flexible the truss rod is. In a good guitar.

Comment

I do think a more rigid truss rod would affect tension by not allowing the neck to flex at all during bends, kinda like a floating trem effect, I don't think you'd notice any difference while not bending though.

The length past the bridge to the tailpiece, bridge to tailpiece height and headstock angle all do affect tension.

Comment

Oh, and put some nines on it. I used to be able to pull of 3 whole-step bends on my LP with 'em
          1973 Aria 551
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

It's a jazz guitar--I don't bend, I slide. The tension problem is mainly, well, a problem, because of the hand fatigue it causes doin big chords. I can only play that guitar for so long before I have to pick up a different one
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Does it have tall frets?

Comment

Effective string-tension length plays a part in it. My guitar's feel got way looser when I installed a Floyd. Instead of continuous tension from the tuners to the end of the block, it's from the locking nut to the saddle blocks, considerably shorter. I've played some Jazzmasters and they are TIGHT compared to other Fenders and that's because the effective tension length is crazy long and because that guitar has almost no break angles worth mentioning. Of course, typical emo kids who play JM's don't do much bending anyway...

Comment

It's because of the moon.

Comment

Action and relief have a big impact on perceived string tension.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

Telecasters always seem tighter to me then Strats even with the same guage and make of strings.
                      Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

That's funny, most of the time, I've experienced the opposite.
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

I go pretty deep into the "whys" in this thread:

I'm not aware of another source on the internet that goes into that level of depth on the subject.

As far as the two exact guitars you are comparing....got links/pics/full specs? I can most likely explain what's going on.

Comment

Boom!
                            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I never heard back, but I'll take a stab at it based on the limited info in the first post.

First of all, looking at measurable tension, are the strings the exact same brand/model/gauge? If not, then one set of the strings may have higher mass (usually from a thicker core wire), which will have higher tension.

Looking at perceived tension:

How does the break angle from the bridge to the tailpiece on the Tempest compare to the break angle from the bridge to the Bigsby on the Gretsch? The one with the steeper break angle will play tighter.

How much string length is there from the bridge to the tailpiece on the Tempest compared to the string length from the bridge to the Bigsby on the Gretsch? The one with shorter string length will play tighter.

I can give a tip to ease tension on Bigsby equipped guitars: I went from the factory 7/8" spring to a 1" spring on my B5 equipped Tele. The longer spring has more give and makes the guitar play slinkier. It also makes the bar sit higher, which works better for me in an ergonomic sense.

How big are the frets on the Gretsch? Bigger/taller frets tend to play slinkier because you get the semi-scalloped neck feel. i.e. your fingers don't touch and drag on the fretboard like it does with shorter frets.

How do action and relief compare on the two guitars?

There are other possibilities, but that's a few as a starting point.
                              Last edited by Chad; 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Tempest is long gone, but I'll compare with my Les Paul, which aint goin anywhere and has really nice fluid tension. EB 11's are about perfect on it

more of the string is spanned out on the gretsch

the angle is less drastic on the gretsch

frets are a little taller on the LP but not a ton

Bigsby has the 1" spring
                                Originally posted by gibson175
                                metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                                X