Is this a nitro finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a nitro finish?

...on my 78 fender mustang? a drop of water had fallen on the guitar and i didnt notice for a little while. when i went to wipe it off the spot had created a stain in the finish (its black, stain looked white or gray) that didnt come off, i ended up trying to scratch it off with my fingernail but ended up scratching the surface of the guitar instead!

the finish also wont polish at all.

Re: Is this a nitro finish?

come on guys!

Comment

I believe Fender/CBS switched to poly finishes around '69. So, it's almost surely poly.

Unless it's been refinished by someone over the years...?
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

The moisture basically soaked through the finish...you can't scratch it off. There are very few finishes that are 100% waterproof.

Comment

That sounds heaps dodgy. I've got a guitar with satin (non-clearcoated nitro) finish, and I've rubbed some seriously dubious stuff on it (shoe grease, lemon oil etc, not to mention years worth of sweat exposure) and nothing ever really stained it. Like Powdered TOast said, maybe someone repainted it at some point?
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Blushing. It happens, nitro, acrylic, all sorts of finishes. On nitro it will eventually migrate to the surface, where it can be rubbed off with a modest rubbing compound like Meguiars #2 or #9, Virtuoso polish, etc. Some acrylics can be a bit more stubborn in giving up the moisture they've absorbed, though if you give it some time in a dry environment you should hopefully be able to eventually rub it out.

Comment

Try making a loose paste of ashes and water, rub it in a circular motion. I've used this to remove water stains from furniture before.
              " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                ...on my 78 fender mustang? a drop of water had fallen on the guitar and i didnt notice for a little while. when i went to wipe it off the spot had created a stain in the finish (its black, stain looked white or gray) that didnt come off, i ended up trying to scratch it off with my fingernail but ended up scratching the surface of the guitar instead!

the finish also wont polish at all.
                Road wear! Rock the **** out of it!
                Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                I dig the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                  Try making a loose paste of ashes and water, rub it in a circular motion. I've used this to remove water stains from furniture before.
                  That's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                  X