banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyway to slightly age a white pickguard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyway to slightly age a white pickguard?

I recently got a new pickguard for my new Fender Blacktop Tele (wasn't a fan of the black on candy apple red). I fought my self on whether to get a parchment or white colored pickguard. I also installed a zebra PGb with a creme pickup ring, so I was afraid the parchment would be to close to the creme color. I still wanted a bit of contrast from to creme on the bridge pickup, so I went with the white. Now I'm thinking the white is too white.

So here's my question, is there a way to age the color on a white pickguard? I just want to see if there's something I can do before plopping the money down again to get a parchment colored pickguard.
    CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
    2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
    2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
    2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
    Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
    lots 'o pedals

Re: Is there anyway to slightly age a white pickguard?

Here's a pic of Tele with the white pickguard...

CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
    2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
    2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
    2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
    Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
    lots 'o pedals

Comment

I made a thread about my success using coffee. If you want just slightly aged, don't scratch it up as much, and don't leave it in as long.

Cheers!
      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

i was gonna say soak it in cold tea, but im sure coffee is good too
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

you'll have much better luck getting an aged white pickguard and then rubbing brown shoe polish into it.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I used coffee to aged the knobs and covers on my strat and it worked pretty good.
            Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Nothing will soak into the glossy plastic, no matter what you use.

First, you have to use steel wool to completely flatten the top of the pickguard.
              Then, mix stuff like coffee, tea, and yellow curry in cold water. Sometimes it turns too yellow, so you've got to rub brown shoe polish into it also. Then, use a rag soaked in bleach to make it more nicotine stained rather than a purposely dyed look.

Never soak it in warm or hot water. The plastic will warp.

But overall, just buy a pickguard that's closest in color to the cream bobbins. I'm not even sure if Fender makes that color, so look at aftermarket ones. Try to get it to match the pickup ring. Fender's colors will always be a bit off.....aged white, parchment, mint green.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Question : is there any way to slightly age a white pickguard ?

Answer : wait.
                There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
                Don't ask.

Comment

Working...
                X