Pinch harmonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch harmonics

Been a while since I played any guitars other than my own, so I'm curious. Used to rake 'em out by the dozen on my LP (Invader bridge), but started playing my superstrat pretty much exclusively (ESP 89 bridge) and I noticed they're a helluva lot harder to actually churn out. More often than non, i'll only get the telltale "ptink" instead of a proper squeal.

Anybody else has a similar experience? I dont think it's the pickups, since you can actually get pinch harmonics without even plugging the gutiar in, but not so my on the SS.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Pinch harmonics

I definitely notice a difference with some guitars. It seems like 9 guitars out of 10 I have no trouble with regardless of pickups or the amount of gain, but some guitars seem more stubborn than others. I had a PRS that was very difficult to get them on even after pickup changes. Could have partly been the setup or maybe just the guitar.

Comment

Even with the intonation dead-on some guitars just seem to have a slightly different "sweet spot" than another. Could be the strings, maybe? Hell if I know. I did notice this as well, though.
      -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
      I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Maybe you hold the guitar slightly differently or the scale length has changed the location for the harmonic enough that you're missing them.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Unless your name is Zakk Wylde, some guitars just aren't the best for squeels. Same could be said about playability, some guitars have that mojo, some don't. Maybe try refining your technique on that particular model.
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

I am sure the issue has to do with the difference in scale length between the LP and Strat. The physics of a pinch harmonic involve vibrating only half the string (length-wise). Location of "sweet spots" will probably change with scale length and build of the guitar.

Comment

Whenever I go from a 22 to a 24 fret guitar, even on the same scale length, I have trouble finding the sweet spot. Using the neck humbucker as a reference point doesn't work anymore.

This is also a problem with SGs, since they have that empty space between the end of the fretboard and the neck humbucker.
              "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

weird I have no problem going between 24 3/4 and 25 1/2 scale lengths. To me it has more to do with the actual resonance of that guitar

Comment

It's just the point where you're trying to do them, SG's are a little weird, you have to move your thumb closer to the neck about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, just takes a little getting used to.

Comment

Yeah for some reason I can get them very easily on my Hamer which is an LP scale length guitar but not as easily on my Charvel which is a Strat scale length. I think it's just the position my hand is on the Hamer. It's just naturally right over the spot for pinches, where as on the Charvel I have to move it a little. The pick ups are very differen too, the Hamer has a Custom in the bridge where as the Charvel has Blackouts.

Comment

I just discovered that on the SS, I actually have to move my picking point depending on which fret Iääm pressing down on. Strange, I never had to do that before.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
                        Yeah for some reason I can get them very easily on my Hamer which is an LP scale length guitar but not as easily on my Charvel which is a Strat scale length. I think it's just the position my hand is on the Hamer. It's just naturally right over the spot for pinches, where as on the Charvel I have to move it a little. The pick ups are very differen too, the Hamer has a Custom in the bridge where as the Charvel has Blackouts.
                        Suprised its not easier to get em on the blackouts!

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                        I just discovered that on the SS, I actually have to move my picking point depending on which fret Iääm pressing down on. Strange, I never had to do that before.
                        Very good! yeah, some guitars just have a diff touch..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X