This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's settle this...

Well, I'm just a multi-genre weirdo, who likes: Classical, Jazz, Jam bands, Metal, Punk, Reggae, Funk, Hardcore, Pop, Classic Rock, Zappa (he has his own genre, IMO), Prog Rock, etc, etc, etc... I like all forms of music, but also realize there is bad music within each genre. As a drummer I played all the above mentioned styles in some form or another over the years and I'm proud of my aim towards versatility. So these sorts of comparisons bug me, especially the trolls and haters on YouTube who have to "go there" with comparing apples and oranges in an inflammatory way. Go on YouTube and type in "Buddy Rich" read the comments and you'll see what I mean... "TRAVIS BARKER RULEZ" kind of crap. Gimme a break.

Music should not be a competition. It's art.

Comment

"Music should not be a competition." -posted by IanBallard

Maybe I came off in a negative way when I started this post. And in no way do I mean any disrespect to any of these leaders of human consciousness via art via music via guitar (my principal instrument).

I will look for comments about the great Buddy Rich (a friend's idol, he's a drummer), ignorant or otherwise.
      But I don't see competition in music a bad thing within the realm of playing together for the fun and sharing the energy two champions bring to the pallete to create something together that is greater as a whole than the sum of their parts..

But when I listen to the jams by Phil & Friends GOTV 2002, and I hear the phrases these Goliaths summon and shape out of maleable improvisations (Warren played a cool symmetrical phrase/shape one time), I can't help but think that at one time or another, one guitar player got to a certain lick first, and if the other didn't either shade it with contrast, or scrap it altogether, or spin it and take it to a totally different place, there wouldn't be that constant pushing/pulling and shifting of energy that keeps both champions on their toes (or tips of their fingers?) and the rest of us tuned (glued?) into the music.

Really, the coolest thing about two different guitar players battling is that nevermind their styles being different because they are two different unique human beings, but each one will have refined his/her style over DECADES with no two paths ever starting, sustaining, and ending exactly the same. How about Zakk Wylde Vs. Slash? Or John Frusciante? The reason I picked Eddie is because his fluency across many different styles, he'd be a great "First round pick" to challenge someone with improvisatory chops like Jimmy Herring at the hippie mushroom festival!

Comment

Originally posted by sbecker67 View Post
        hmmmmm, since i have no idea who jimmy herring is that's probably an answer in and of itself.
        +1
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Years ago, while guitarists began to buzz about Eddie and some of the big names were quite jealous and mean to him, he himself was blown away by the amazing Allan Holdsworth when UK opened up for them in 1978. But even he was so perplexed by the improvisation and annoyed by them "playing for themselves" that it was bittersweet. He and Allan developed a report and became friends and Allan taught Eddie some "legato" techniques and Allan learned hammer-on tapping licks. Eddie really could never hold a candle to Allan's sheer imagination and command of playing over chord changes, but on the other hand, he really isn't into that kind of music. But the point is, as a community these greats learn from each other and evolve the art, not by "besting each other" but by respecting those who do things they can't do.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
            Years ago, while guitarists began to buzz about Eddie and some of the big names were quite jealous and mean to him, he himself was blown away by the amazing Allan Holdsworth when UK opened up for them in 1978. But even he was so perplexed by the improvisation and annoyed by them "playing for themselves" that it was bittersweet. He and Allan developed a report and became friends and Allan taught Eddie some "legato" techniques and Allan learned hammer-on tapping licks. Eddie really could never hold a candle to Allan's sheer imagination and command of playing over chord changes, but on the other hand, he really isn't into that kind of music. But the point is, as a community these greats learn from each other and evolve the art, not by "besting each other" but by respecting those who do things they can't do.
            Who is this Allan Holdsworth, and where do I start on his trail?
            Btw, that's really humbling, and a good anecdote to keep one's ego in check.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
              Who is this Allan Holdsworth, and where do I start on his trail?
              Btw, that's really humbling, and a good anecdote to keep one's ego in check.

Comment

This is one of my fav clips of his earlier playing.

Here's one from the band Eddie witnessed in 1978:

Comment

[QUOTE=Binnerscot;2810004]Wow, just, Wow!
                  I'm a "Live: Right Here, Right Now" kind of guy btw...just a tad more comfortable than the "unbridled" counterpart!

Oh...I guess you already posted some videos...

Comment

Now that's talent! (Soft Machine) Listen to how many subdivisions he transcends and Fluidly!...yet little if any fat!
                    That dude must play a LOT!
                    See...my old bluesy roomate (who got me into Jimi btw) never seemed to appreciate the time and place for fast playing, 'cause just like Slash, Zakk, Frusciante, and myself, he could never traverse so many different levels of subdivision with any substance or meaning with same fluidity asHoldsworth in that clip. Now...you might hear the exact same thing phrased slightly different in thisfirst clip after watching/listening to it a few times. But it is no less impressive than the cultivation of decades of maturation and flawless execution of the second. (If only Randy were alive...damn you coccaine!!!)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Me vs. Every other crap guitarist

I don't think I would win
                      Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                      If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonker View Post
                        Me vs. Every other crap guitarist
                        I don't think I would win
                        You'd beat at least one crap guitarist, Me!
                        "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X