Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose tremelo

Hi,
    What's the difference between an original Floyd Rose and a copy, besides name and price?
    Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Re: Floyd Rose tremelo

Mainly the materials. Solid steel in most cases vs. soft weak alloys that don't resonate as well. There are decent copies out there though.

Comment

some copies are better designs than the original
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've heard some good things about Ibanez Floyds (the ones on the more pricy guitars, that is), but that's really about it.

I know that both Gotoh and Schaller make licensedFloyds, never tried 'em though.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          some copies are better designs than the original
          Like the Gotoh for example. Smoother contours, more palm comfort, better arm mechanism, better mounting design for Strat retrofits, more accurate fine-tuner design, equally good steel alloy, does NOT thin out tone like OFR's can, locking nut design does not "sharp" tuning when it's locked down, etc, etc... and the best part is it's cheaper than an OFR.

I almost bought a $25 "Floyd" from China... thank GAWD the members here talked me out of it!!

Because the Floyd patent has expired, anybody can make a similar design now...some good and some very bad. The Gotoh is actually not a "Floyd", it's a "High Stability Tremolo System".
          Last edited by IanBallard; 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I have a German OFR from the 80's on my Kramer 5150 replica and a Gotoh Floyd on my Music Man Axis. The Gotoh is amazing quality, solid as a rock and I would choose it over a new OFR I think. My 80's Floyd is almost like brand new however and the quality is also there. Some say the new OFR's aren't what they used to be, I'm not sure but I know people such as John Suhr have ditched the current German OFR's in favour of the Gotoh's.

Slight differences like mentioned before such as the saddles having smoother contours etc. Another difference is the bar on the Gotoh angles off at a slightly different angle, it comes slightly more away from the body which gives you more leverage and makes it easier to dive bomb and use the bridge. The locking nut and retainer bar are exactly the same as on an OFR, strings go sharp when you lock down because your retainer bar isn't set low enough.

Comment

an OFR is about $170 while the gotoh is about $120 and much much better

Comment

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
                I have a German OFR from the 80's on my Kramer 5150 replica and a Gotoh Floyd on my Music Man Axis. The Gotoh is amazing quality, solid as a rock and I would choose it over a new OFR I think. My 80's Floyd is almost like brand new however and the quality is also there. Some say the new OFR's aren't what they used to be, I'm not sure but I know people such as John Suhr have ditched the current German OFR's in favour of the Gotoh's.

Slight differences like mentioned before such as the saddles having smoother contours etc. Another difference is the bar on the Gotoh angles off at a slightly different angle, it comes slightly more away from the body which gives you more leverage and makes it easier to dive bomb and use the bridge. The locking nut and retainer bar are exactly the same as on an OFR, strings go sharp when you lock down because your retainer bar isn't set low enough.
                Hmmm, well. I haven't had any issues with the nut causing sharp notes on mine and I actually keep the retainer higher than usual, because I want to access the truss rod w/o removing the bar. But I also have Sperzels with the graduated posts, so it doesn't need to be that low. That might be the key. I HIGHLY recommend locking tuners with a Floyd, mostly for string-change time.

Comment

IanBallard, some people like using locking tuners cause it gives them more weight at the headstock which they believe equals to better tone. I dunno about that, but there a very easy method to stringing up Floyd equipped guitars that don't have them by leaving the ball ends at the tuning pegs like this:

String it backwards down the neck, pull string tight and cut just behind your fine tuners for all strings. That'll give you the exact length you need and save you a lot of time. Restring a Floyd in no time

Edit:
                  Also, make sure you line up the tuner holes so they point down the neck as well
                  Last edited by kramer.geetar; 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

My Charvel Pro-Mod has a Floyd Rose licensed trem, and it is great with staying in tune and doing all the tricks I want it to do. My Ibanez RG350DX had one of the lower end Ibanez trems (again Floyd licensed, not an actual one). The RG went out of tune all the time, but the tech at my local music store told me it was because of the way the springs were put in, so he took them out and put them in a triangle shape and it works much better now.
                    GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

I use 5 Modern Vintage springs which are higher-mass/lower tension and I get the same feel as I did with 3. That might contribute to good tuning stability, having all the springs on there. I don't like "super-loose" bars anyway because I like the occasional Albert King bending which would obviously move the trem a bit if it's too loose. I just can't get into the Vai "move the bar with one finger" kind of tension.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakek5150 View Post
                        My Charvel Pro-Mod has a Floyd Rose licensed trem,
                        The Pro Mod floyds are not really "licensed" trems, as much as they are real Floyds. The only difference is the country of manufacture.

Also, as mentioned, if your strings go sharp locking down the nut, lower the retainer bar.

Once you get a OFR set up correctly, very rarely will it have issues.
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Floyd Rose make a "licensed" version themselves, called the FR Special. Very decent stuff !

I wanted to create an extra thread, but I might as well post my question here : has anyone ever tried the Speedloader floyds ? Including the Speedloader fixed ?
                          There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
                          Don't ask.

Comment

Idk. I just can't justify paying 120 bucks for a bridge that I've never used before.
                            Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                            H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                            Originally posted by jcthejester13
                            I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash View Post
                              Floyd Rose make a "licensed" version themselves, called the FR Special. Very decent stuff !

I wanted to create an extra thread, but I might as well post my question here : has anyone ever tried the Speedloader floyds ? Including the Speedloader fixed ?

Weren't the pretty much one big flop? Created a pretty big buzz when they came out, but since you had to use special strings for 'em, they pretty much went under the radar after that.

EDIT: Just found this on wikipedia

The most criticized disadvantage of new tremolo system is a requirement of special strings with bulleted ends. Strings should be precisely cut and should not stretch (so called "string float") non-elastically much from original length with applied tension, changing the pitch. String should be perfectly elastic in the range of Floyd Rose action. All these requirements make string manufacturing harder than normal, thus, generally, prices for such strings tend to be higher. So far, there is only one company producing such special strings: Dean Markley, though the packaging of the strings features nowhere the company name and only the "Floyd Rose SpeedLoader" logos. The other factor is string availability: it's virtually impossible to find such strings on sale in some regions, and prices for such rare imported goods may go up to 400-500%. Finally, if speedloader string breaks, it must be replaced completely - one cannot just shift and re-use the rest of string length as is sometimes possible do with other bridges. As of 2010, the strings have been discontinued.
                              Sucks if you've shelled out for a Speedloader axe sans machine heads. Then again, this is pretty weird, since FR still manufactured the speedloader bridges.
                              Last edited by Coma; 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X