Floyds, Dive Bombing, and Tuning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyds, Dive Bombing, and Tuning...

So I've been playing around with my new Dean's Floyd, and indulging in some crazy whammy shenanigans.

I find that often, the tuning goes out whether I go down or up. I'm just wondering, how much of this is because of new strings still stretching and settling?

the nut clamps are solidly locked, and so are the string locks at the bridge itself. The setup is flawless. Spring tension vs. string tension is perfectly balanced and the baseplate is flat, but it still goes out with some whammy stuff.

Now I know once properly set up, a Floyd is supposed to not have any tuning problems, which is why I'm thinking this is due to new strings...but is this normal for new strings? or is there something else going on that I don't know about?

Re: Floyds, Dive Bombing, and Tuning...

Usually, Floyds with non-locking trem posts (like the Ibanez Edge Pro trem) tend to go sharp after a pull-up.

However it returned right on spot after dives.

Did you wind correctly the strings, so they have no slip at the tuners? If not, the string will still come down through the nut sooner or later.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

A couple of things to look for...

Make sure the knife edges are parallel to the post when the trem is at rest. You would also want to lube the knife edges (Chapstick works best).

Once the trem angle is set correctly, dump the bar and let it springs back. Tune to that position, and then dump again. The trem should go back to zero at that point.
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Make sure the knife edges are parallel to the post when the trem is at rest. You would also want to lube the knife edges (Chapstick works best).

Once the trem angle is set correctly, dump the bar and let it springs back. Tune to that position, and then dump again. The trem should go back to zero at that point.
        -Chris

Comment

I'd forgotten those Ayrton. You can tell I haven't had a Floyd in years.

Comment

I still have way too many, but mercifully I have narrowed down the floaters to about 5. The rest of my Floyds rest against the body.
            -Chris

Comment

Once the nut is locked it kinda takes the tuners out of the equasion and string streching becomes less of an issue as well since most of that is due to the strings settling in at the post.

If it continues I'd wonder if its in the bridge or settling in the guitar, wood being wood.

Comment

well, I gave the strings a good stretching down and up, down and up, with the nut unlocked. Tuned back up and locked the nut, and now it seems to be fine.

Just to be safe though, I'll make sure to lube up the knife edges next string change.

Thanks guys!

Comment

See?

Good to know it was an easy fix.

Comment

haha yeah..I'm new to Floyd Roses, but not the least bit new to floating bridges, so it's just a couple of extra parts that I needed to figure out how they work in the whole system.

Comment

Yeah I was gonna suggest to really stretch the strings out. I always make sure to do that before locking things down and rockin'. Guess they didn't do that at the factory/shop.

Comment

well after shipping, settling, getting used to different temperatures/humidities and all that, i'm not surprised the strings needed to be properly stretched out. Aside from stretching the strings though, I haven't touched anything setup wise, and it's still a perfect setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post

Chapstick huh?? thanks for the tip!

Convoys,
                          yeah, once the floyd is properly set up (as you said yours is) it is usually just a matter of getting the strings stretched and seated
                          Last edited by BloodRose; 04-02-2011, 02:00 PM.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I read Satriani's tech does the Chapstick trick on all Satch's guitars.

Comment

blargh. it did it again. first the high e went way flat...couple more dives and pull ups, and the whole thing went out.

what the hell?!

Comment

Working...
                              X