truss rod making noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truss rod making noise?

the past few months, ive been hearing a new overtone that was not there before, when i play the twelfth fret d. its a tone that is a semitone off, creating dissonance when i play that particular note. i made a damper for the vibrato springs, muted the strings above the nut, and muted the strings i wasnt playing, and the tone is there.

is it possible that my truss rod has developed a harmonic? i havent been throwing it down any stairs lately...

Re: truss rod making noise?

it could be the truss rod... my Wolfgang needs fret dress to straighten it's neck out again... i have very little tention on the rod right now to keep some bow/relieve and the rod can rattle a little on some notes...

but that being said... how high is the pickups on your guitar to the strings... sometimes having a pickup adjusted too high can cause "ghost notes" on notes up on higher frets... strats are famous for this if this is a strat we are talking about...

also is all the hardware on your guitar tight? i've seen loose Crown nuts on tuners cause funny notes... i've seen loose pots and strap pins do the same... i've even had a vintage style Fender tuner have a sloppy gear and the tuner peg itself was making a noise on some notes but not others
    Last edited by WhoFan; 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

i doubt its the truss rod

Comment

Some truss rods have a natural tendency toward certain notes when played at certain positions on the fretboard. I had a Squier Strat that wasn't happy unless you played at the third position of the open A. I mean it would act downright pissy! Wouldn't talk to me, give me any love, it was troublesome to say the least.

" you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

What kind of guitar is it? If it is a Strat there are a few things you can do. If the truss rod adjustment is at the heel, remove the neck, then remove the screw. Now you can take a piece of cloth and stuff it into the channel. Reinstall the screw and replace the neck. this should stop any vibrations in the neck. If that option is to complicated you might have to bring it to a tech. the other option is it may just be your pickups are a touch too high. Strats are pretty finiky when it comes to the height of the pickups.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

it also sounded when the guitar was unplugged.

well i ended up changing out the electronics and the strings, and the tone is gone.

i guess it was the strings, or possibly some loose metal something or other in the cavity, maybe.

thanks the the help, anyway guys.

Comment

Working...
            X