Semi Hollow Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi Hollow Guitars

I've been researching semi hollows, looking to see if I can even out my options a bit before I venture up to Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter, FL this summer.

Are there any differences in the size/construction of the sustain blocks in semi hollows? Are there blocks that offer less sustain in favor of resonating the body/top more (ala full hollowbody), or are they all basically aiming for the same sonic ballpark? Are there semi hollows with wood bridges? I'm not opting for the full hollow archtop in fear that the feedback and delicate construction would compromise my flexibility at a gig and pigeon hole me into straight ahead type jazz tones at low volumes.

I have Heritage and Hamer on my list of 335 clones to try/buy, if any of you guys own a semi hollow or have tried one that really impressed you, chime in and let me know what you dig about it in comparison to a solid body with a similar pickup.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Semi Hollow Guitars

If I were buying a semi-hollow right now, I think I'd be tracking down a used Gibson ES-333. That's a lot of guitar for ~$1200.

I've got an Ibanez Artcore slimline full hollowbody, but it's not in the same league as what you're looking at. I stumbled across it in a pawn shop and got a great deal, and I really dig it, but if you're looking to spend real money, you can definitely do better...though not necessarily COOLER...I mean, have you seen that kelley green one with the racing stripes? Yowza.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Check out a 137 as well, because they are a thinline cross between a 335 and a 175. Darker and more responsive than a 335, but less feedback prone than the full hollow.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I had the full sized heritage, bought from Jay Wolfe. I never could get the Bigsby to stay in tune. It had locking tuners, I put nut sauce on it, graphite on the bridge, you name it. Finally sold it cuz I couldn't keep it in tune to my satisfaction. Jay was a prince to deal with.

As far as tone, it would sustain for days. And, getting that crazy Ted Nugent feedback was a snap too. It can get out of control pretty quickly at stage volume if you don't ride it well.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Two of my favorite guitars that I own are a 1985 Gibson 335 & a 2006 359. The basic difference is size.

The primary concern you must have with a semi hollow is the volume that you will be playing at. These guitars have a tendency to squeal, but that can be remedied by using a long chord and standing far enough away from the amp.

Now my 335 is probably one of my favorite guitars. It has the PAF RI in her and she just sings. These pickups really sing yet they clean up really well. The Tonal options that you have on tap is impressive. By rolling back the volume on the neck pickup with the toggle in the middle & leaving the bridge volume on full it gives you a real kind of out of phase type of tone but with a bit more balls. Overall the tonal options are huge. The neck position is very woody not muddy like a Les Paul is and clear and clean. the middle position gives a nice rhythm tone and the bridge really kills. its my favorite bridge tone of all the guitars I have.

The 359 is a little different. The body size is smaller and it has "Custom" appointments with an ebony board and gold hardware. The guitar has a real in-between feel to it. What I mean is it feels in-between a Les Paul & a 335. Tonally I would say it is closer to a Les Paul but without the mud. The 57 Classics are the right pickups in this guitar. the neck position rolling off the tone well you can get a killer Sash tone, yet the bridge is as hot as you would expect from a Les Paul. It also is a very good sounding guitar.

If you are looking to do straight up Jazz I would probably go with a real hollow guitar, but if you are going to be looking to do some rock, Blues & Jazz. Look no further then a 335. IMHO it is one of the best guitars around for versatility.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Check out an Ibanez AS-103. I went out to get a Gibson...20 guitar auditions later...I came home with an Ibanez. Go figure.

Comment

Cheap and cheerful, yes, but damn, just LOOK at it.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

It's discontinued but check out a Schecter C/Sh-1. It's a prs/superstrat body w/ f holes. Sweet axe.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

Or.... Check out the Washburn semihollow bodies. They are a treat.
                  I LOVE GUNS, ANIMALS, AND PEOPLE GETTING BUTT-HURT.

Comment

If I were buying a semi-hollow today I'd go for the Heritage. Superior materials and workmanship IMO and they come with Duncans or HRWs which are outstanding pups. The folks at Wolfe will be a great help.

Best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by michyank View Post
                      if i were buying a semi-hollow today i'd go for the heritage. Superior materials and workmanship imo and they come with duncans or hrws which are outstanding pups. The folks at wolfe will be a great help.

Best wishes
                      +1.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                      X