Terrible GAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible GAS

The other day, I was in the guitar shop trying out some of the guitars I had seen there for a long time, but that I had never played before. I found myself playing a semi-hollow Ibanez such as the one in the attachment below and DAMN, I just want one of these.

Thing is, I have no idea what to play on such a guitar ! I play almost exclusively metal music, and I know perfectly what kind of guitars I want for this, but I just don't know what I could play on a semi-hollow if I ever bought one...

Either give me ideas or talk me out of this GAS !
    There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
    Don't ask.

Re: Terrible GAS

You can play:
    Blues
    Blues Rock
    Jazz
    Country
    Rockabilly
    Punk Rock
    Ska
    Funk
    Surf

Or really just about anything depending on pickups and amp...

Comment

LOL

It's about time I start to play music, isn't it ?
      There's so much gear I want that the whole list would make a highway to hell if it was ever written down.
      Don't ask.

Comment

That's a beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
          That's a beauty.
          yes sir

Comment

I friggin WAAAAAANT this ^^
            Don't ask.

Comment

Seems like it'll push you into new musical territory. Or, shucks, a Custom Custom will get it to do hard rock and maybe some 80's metal or something. Man I remember having a CC in a semi-hollow guitar. That thing sounded THICK. It was loud and proud baby. Too bad the guitar itself played like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash View Post
                The other day, I was in the guitar shop trying out some of the guitars I had seen there for a long time, but that I had never played before. I found myself playing a semi-hollow Ibanez such as the one in the attachment below and DAMN, I just want one of these.

Thing is, I have no idea what to play on such a guitar ! I play almost exclusively metal music, and I know perfectly what kind of guitars I want for this, but I just don't know what I could play on a semi-hollow if I ever bought one...

Either give me ideas or talk me out of this GAS !
                Well, maybe your musical horizons are expanding. I won't say "growing up" cuz that is just flat out condescending. As we play and learn and study, we grow. Growing inward perhaps. Welcome to your new self.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  Seems like it'll push you into new musical territory. Or, shucks, a Custom Custom will get it to do hard rock and maybe some 80's metal or something. Man I remember having a CC in a semi-hollow guitar. That thing sounded THICK. It was loud and proud baby. Too bad the guitar itself played like crap.
                  I played one of these Ibanez's one time, Artcore or something like that. It had just had a pro set up and played pretty nicely. Seemed like good bang for the buck.

I put a CC in the bridge of this new PRS SE semi hollow body and I can get some good old Eddie Van Halen tone out of it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've played the occasional metal tune (Crazy Train, Round and Round, some Danzig) on my Epi Dot . . . just be very careful about muting strings and where you're standing and the feedback is still controllable. The only thing that I didn't like is it was way too hard to reach the higher notes. Semi-hollows really do sound fantastic for blues/jazz and classic rock too . . .
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah I really might take a try on jazz... I'm really 99% metal at the moment, primarily because it's the only genre I listen to that has interesting stuff to play on a guitar, but I'd be quite excited to try out something new

Any jazz aficionados here to tell me where to start ? Just name a few artists
                      Don't ask.

Comment

Jazz begins and ends with Kenny G.

Kidding. Absolutely kidding.

I listen to a good bit of jazz, but I actually find I don't really gravitate toward any jazz guitar players. But since we're in a guitar forum, I'd imagine that's where we're looking. Wes Montgomery is pretty much the Elvis of his genre. Django is pretty fun, too. There are a number of guys who are always in the conversation, like Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Robben Ford, Joe Pass, Al di Meola (sp?). I think the best way to go about it is just listen to a few and find a song that has a hook you like, then try it out. Getting into a completely new genre can be intimidating, so I strongly recommend just going a song or two at a time.

Comment

And just to add on, when it comes to jazz, I'm a lot more into the piano players. They have the added benefit of that little extra challenge when trying to figure it out on guitar, being a different instrument. The hook from Thelonious Monk's "Blue Monk" is something I find myself working into jams all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                            Well, maybe your musical horizons are expanding. I won't say "growing up" cuz that is just flat out condescending. As we play and learn and study, we grow. Growing inward perhaps. Welcome to your new self.
                            Here's an example of a mature person with very wide horizons who happens to love hollow bodies:

Comment

Cool
                              Don't ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X